Upcoming Book Club Selections

April 12, 2016

At our last meeting, my book club selected our books for the next year and a half.  Yes, we’re overachievers like that.  In all seriousness, there were just so many good suggestions, we couldn’t narrow the list down.  We’re pretty open if something comes up so our lists are often fluid.  This is what we’ll be reading the next six months.Book Club picks 1

• A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN by Betty Smith – This modern classic is a coming of age story of a first generation American girl growing up in the slums of the Williamsburg section of Brooklyn.
  • THE BOOK THIEF by Markus Zusak – Narrated by Death, this is the story of a young German girl who is sent to live with a foster family during World War II.  Even though she can’t yet read, she steals a book on her journey.
  • THE PARIS WIFE by Paula McLain – This work of historical fiction tells the story of Hadley Richardson, the first wife of Ernest Hemingway.

Book club picks 2

• THE ROUND HOUSE by Louise Erdrich – This National Book Award winning book is the story of a young Native American boy seeking justice for a horrible crime that has torn his family apart.
  • THE LIFE WE BURY by Allen Eskens – When a young college student interviews a dying man for a writing assignment, he tries to reconcile the dichotomy of the man’s past – a courageous soldier who later spent time in prison for horrible crimes.
  • THE BOOK OF SPECULATION by Erika Swyler – A young librarian seeks to learn what’s causing the deaths of the women in his family.  It’s a story “about the power of books, family, and magic.”

Have you read any of our selections?  Do you think they’ll generate great discussions?

1. April 12, 2016 4:46 am

I read the Book of Speculation and it’s a good one for a book club. I read Tree Grows in Brooklyn in high school.

2. April 12, 2016 6:53 am

I’ve read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Book Thief, and The Paris Wife. I think they all have a lot to discuss and my favorite is The Book Thief. It’s actually on my Lifetime Favorites list. Have you not read it already?

I’m hoping to read The Life We Bury sometime soon. It’s received a lot of positive reviews.

3. Diane permalink
    April 12, 2016 6:56 am

Nice selections. I loved around House, Life We Bury and A Tree Grows in B….

4. April 12, 2016 7:08 am

I just downloaded A Tree Grows in Brooklyn – it was only $1.99 on Amazon the other day. I loved The Book Thief and The Paris Wife – those two will make excellent reads for book club. I still have to read the Erdrich, which I hear is terrific. The other two I haven’t read or heard much about, but they sound really interesting. Sounds like your book club is in for some great reads this year 🙂

5. April 12, 2016 7:42 am

Loved The Paris Wife! Wasn’t as big of a fan of The Book Thief or Round House, but I was definitely in the minority on those.

6. April 12, 2016 7:45 am

Can I join your book club. 🙂

Great picks.

I read a few of your choices. I will be curious to see what evryone thinks about The Book of Speculation. The summary sounded so good, but I just couldn’t get into it.

ENJOY your day.

Elizabeth

7. April 12, 2016 8:28 am

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is excellent and I enjoyed The Paris Wife. And I want to read all of the others… wish I could join your group, too!

8. April 12, 2016 8:44 am

I look forward to you review of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn! Bronte

9. April 12, 2016 9:57 am

The only one I’ve read is The Round House. It’s my 1st Erdrich. I liked it, but not as much as a lot of other people.

10. April 12, 2016 10:05 am

I still haven’t finished A Tree Grows in Brooklyn after all these years

11. April 12, 2016 10:10 am

I love A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and The Book Thief- they’re among my all-time favorites too. Great books. The others are new to me- I’m adding a few of them to my own list here as well!

12. April 12, 2016 10:11 am

Good choices! I read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, The Round House and The Life We Bury. I think the last one will get the most discussion out of it 🙂 Enjoy them.

13. April 12, 2016 10:12 am

Those look good! I find it so hard to predict what will lead to a good book discussion!

14. April 12, 2016 10:27 am

I loved A Tree Grows In Brooklyn & The Round House.

15. April 12, 2016 11:37 am

I tried to read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn because I know it’s supposed to be this great classic, but I couldn’t make it past about page ten!

16. April 12, 2016 1:40 pm

What a great selection. Discussion should be good. I have only not heard of 2. So how does choosing ahead work? Does everyone give 2-3 selections and then a poll is completed?

April 12, 2016 3:33 pm

Awesome choices…I used to read A Tree…every single summer! I have read Roundhouse and Book of Speculation…great choices!

18. April 12, 2016 4:26 pm

I liked Swyler, I hope you will too

19. April 12, 2016 4:55 pm

I haven’t read any of these but four of them are on my wishlist so I know you will have plenty of good discussion! 🙂 I cannot wait to hear your thoughts on these.

20. April 12, 2016 5:06 pm

Awesome choices! I’ve read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and The Book Thief. I may refer to this “list”, Kathy, in the future.

21. Literary Feline permalink
    April 12, 2016 5:20 pm

What a great list of books, Kathy. Some are on my wish list, one I didn’t like and couldn’t finish, and others I enjoyed. I hope you enjoy them all–or at least have a great discussion about each one. 🙂

22. April 12, 2016 6:58 pm

All of these are great choices, I’m sure your book club will have some terrific discussions.

23. April 12, 2016 7:32 pm

A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN is so good! But I read it so long ago, I am not sure how I would like it now that I am older, but really should try a reread!

24. April 13, 2016 11:35 am

Your group has a great list of books to read in the year ahead. My book club read The Paris Wife and A Tree Grows In Brooklyn. Both allowed for good discussions,

25. The Cue Card permalink
    April 13, 2016 4:43 pm

I have read The Book Thief for my book club, and thought it was pretty grim WWII stuff. Not much happiness there. I’d like to read the two you mention Book of Speculation and The Life We Bury. thanks for those!

26. April 13, 2016 6:16 pm

I read, and loved, The Book Thief, although, as “Cue Card” says above, it can be pretty grim. (That’s usually what one can expect from a WWII novel.) I liked how Zusak highlighted the power of words and books to unite and inspire. Zusak also uses language in unconventional ways – a great book club read!

27. April 14, 2016 3:00 am

Lovely books for discussion. I’ve read just two from this list.

28. April 14, 2016 10:37 pm

I just found out from my book club that Paula McLain lives in Cleveland. I do like to support local authors so I’ll have to look for The Paris Wife.

29. April 17, 2016 8:04 am

LOVED both A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and Book Thief. They will both generate great discussions, I think!

30. Melissa permalink
    April 18, 2016 2:39 pm

I LOVED The Life We Bury and recommended it to several friends even before I finished it.

April 24, 2016 6:57 pm

I have read five out of six of them and I think they are terrific choices!!!

32. May 12, 2016 6:29 pm

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn is my favorite classic! I hope it holds up in adulthood.