February 26, 2020

These words are from WHERE HAVE ALL THE BOYS GONE? by Jenny Colgan.

1. bothy – “‘I didn’t even know what a bothy was.'”

A bothy is a small hut or cottage in Scotland.

________________________________________

2. ickle – “‘One of them gave Harry an ickle baby wave.'”

Ickle is British slang for little.

________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. Mae Sander permalink
    February 26, 2020 6:52 am

I love those British-Isles dialect words like “bothy” for farmers’ houses and lands — the word croft also comes to mind. That’s a nice new one. I remember the baby-talk word “ickle” from the Harry Potter books; now it seems to be much-loved by the fanfic crowd.

My Wednesday is semi-wordless today: just captions on my photos.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

2. Lloyd Russell permalink
    February 26, 2020 9:00 am

I definitely do NOT know my British Isles words!

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Feb 26, 2020 at 12:02 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

3. Felicity Grace terry permalink
    February 26, 2020 9:44 am

Ickle is a word I haven’t heard for such a long time. Bothy funnily enough a word I last came across a few days ago in my current read.

4. February 26, 2020 4:26 pm

I did learn one today! Effusive , nope thought it was something else

5. February 26, 2020 5:58 pm

Both new-to-me words!!

6. February 26, 2020 6:54 pm

Nope, no and no for these. I love the sound of them, though I can’t see me using either. Bothy. Ickle. Love the sounds of them.

7. February 27, 2020 7:16 am

These words are when I’m glad to be reading on a kindle – just to get a quick definition. I didn’t know either but I guess that’s understandable.

8. March 7, 2020 8:04 am

I found American Dirt to be a great thriller read, I really got a lot out of it.