Moveable Virtual Blogger Pub Crawl: The Naked Pint

July 30, 2013

The Naked Pint

This week, I’m participating in a blog tour of beer, wine, cheese, and bread suitable for a pub tour.  I’m kicking off the tour with this beer related post today, Jill will fill you in on cheese on July 31, JoAnn will write about bread on August 1, and Sandy finishes things off with a wine related post on August 2.  I hope we inspire you!

Beer is an ancient beverage – possibly the oldest alcoholic beverage in the world – and until recently, those of us in the US didn’t have a lot of options when it came to drinking it.  In the 1970s, there were around 44 breweries in the US and, for the most part, they produced pasteurized light lagers that are boring, light on taste, and uncreative.  In 1976, a homebrewer opened New Albion brewing.  Even though that brewery only last 6 years, that brewer’s vision started a revolution.

Thankfully these days we have a lot of options for beer but, if you’re new on the craft beer scene, it can be overwhelming and difficult to know where to start.  Christina Perozzi and Hallie Beaune demystify beer in their book, The Naked Pint.  This book begins by defining beer:

Beer in its most basic form is a carbonated alcoholic beverage made from fermented grains.  It is primarily made up of four key ingredients: malt, hops, water, and yeast.

and goes on to define beer terms and beer styles as well as suggest glasses that should be used and beer/food pairings.  There is a lot of information in this book so it would be impossible to remember it all with one reading.  It’s the kind of book you read and then keep for later reference.

The Good:

• Perozzi and Beaune suggest those new to craft beer start out slowly with more subtle beers to train the palate and give a step by step plan to do this.
  • The authors know their stuff and do a good job describing the different beer styles and even suggest specific beers.
  • The book is written in an accessible manner so no prior knowledge of beer is required to read it.
  • The conversational tone makes this non-fiction book an easy, light read.
  • Beer is approached without snobbery – while Perozzi and Beaune suggest trying lots of styles, they stress that everyone likes something different and you should drink what you enjoy.

The Not-So-Good:

• The authors’ humor gets old after a while.
  • At times it felt like the book is geared toward women.
  • It’s obvious the authors live on the west coast – many of the beers they suggest are only available in that area.
  • There is some mis-information in the book.  For instance, they mention buying beer on eBay, which is illegal.  Some information is outdated as well. (My copy of the book was printed in October 2012.)

Overall, The Naked Pint is a good introduction for anyone new to the craft beer world.

I am an Indiebound Affiliate.
About these ads
  1. July 30, 2013 6:48 am

Interesting about it seeming geared toward women. I wonder if there are any statistics on gender preference for artisanal beers. Well, I’ll just wait for Beer for Dummies; since Wine for Dummies just came out this year, I figure beer can’t be far behind!

2. July 30, 2013 9:12 am

I got the book I won today :)

3. July 30, 2013 10:41 am

In theory, this sounds like such a good idea – craft beers are SO popular now. It’s too bad the book is geared toward woman and includes mostly west coast breweries. Sounds like it’s time for someone to write a regional guide to microbreweries and craft beers!

4. July 30, 2013 1:19 pm

Kathy, thanks for your well-written review. I learned a few things about beer here. We do have a lot of hand-crafted beer available in So Cal!

I am on a short blogging break, but stopped by your blog this morning.

5. July 30, 2013 1:27 pm

Interesting. I will admit to being more of a wine lover myself, but my husband has been trying to convince me to give fine crafted beer a try. I need to! It seems that the midwest is having a beer renessaince so I’m sad this book is geared towards the west and to women. If it were geared towards everyone, it would have been a good pick for my husband!

July 30, 2013 3:09 pm

Maybe it is geared towards women. I know my husband knows way more about beers that I ever care to know!

7. July 30, 2013 3:25 pm

Cheers…I want a real beer crawl!

8. July 30, 2013 7:47 pm

What a fun idea….virtual pub crawl!

9. July 30, 2013 9:25 pm

Good information, even if the book didn’t totally work for you. If you haven’t read The History of the World in Six Glasses, I think you’ll really enjoyed it. My whole book club loved it!

10. July 30, 2013 9:36 pm

I am liking beer more and more. Not that that has anything to do with the book…I’m just sayin’. And I mean GOOD beer. We have a wine walk here, maybe a beer crawl would be fun too.

11. July 31, 2013 2:31 am

I enjoy a good craft beer. I know this sounds obvious, but one of the of the ways I find new ones is to ask the bartender. And they will usually give me a taste to make sure I like it before I buy a glass.

12. July 31, 2013 8:10 am

I love conversational non-fiction :) Also, what a fun blog tour idea! I’ll have to check out the rest of the posts too.

13. July 31, 2013 10:58 am

I’m not a huge beer drinker but I don’t mind it once in a while. Maybe they’ve geared it more towards women since they do so much of the shopping.

14. July 31, 2013 1:06 pm

This is such a fun “pub crawl!” Loved this.

15. Jennifer permalink
    July 31, 2013 1:15 pm

Love the idea of the pub crawl.

This sounds like a book I might need to pick up. I’m not a huge beer drinker but my sister’s boyfriend loves going out to fancy beer places. He even home brews. Let’s just say I need to learn my stuff because the last time I went out with him I remember ordering “the lightests girliest beer.” Yup, I used those exact words to order. Haha.

16. sandynawrot permalink
    July 31, 2013 6:02 pm

I’m just getting around to reading this! Considering I’m part of this crawl, I am hanging my head for being so behind things these days. Anyway, I like how you’ve highlighted the good and bad with this book. I do love beer, but I really didn’t used to until the better stuff started showing up on the scene. The beer in Poland and Czech Republic is AMAZING by the way. I actually prefer it to wine when I’m over there. Mmmmmm!

17. August 3, 2013 10:11 am

Selling beer on ebay seems like a pretty big oversight! I’m not a beer drinker myself. Can you recommend one that doesn’t smell like beer? ;) They never pass the nose test for me.

18. Staci@LifeintheThumb permalink
    August 5, 2013 8:22 pm

I love tasting different beers and think I should just head on down to your son and husband’s place!! :)