April 29, 2020

No new words in my reading so these are from my Word-a-Day calendar.

1. poikilotherm – “The researcher studied the habits of frogs and other poikilotherms on both sunny and rainy days.”

I’m sure I’ll never have a reason to use this noun.  Poikilotherm means an organism with a variable body temperature that tends to fluctuate with and is similar to or slightly higher than the temperature of its environment.

__________________________________________

2. debouch – “We pulled our kayaks out of the river several miles before the point where it debouches into the ocean.”

Debouch is a verb that, in this case, means to march out into open ground: emerge, issue.

__________________________________________

1. April 29, 2020 3:44 am

Hi Kathy,

Both new words to me. Loved the first one, once I got my tongue around how to say it! It might possibly refer to me on a bad day, but apart from that not too sure when I would get to use either word in general conversation, although ‘debouch’ does have a certain panache to it!

No post from me this week, although I do have a couple prepared for May. Stay Safe and thanks for hosting 🙂

Yvonne
    xx

2. April 29, 2020 6:59 am

I saw Yvonne’s retweet on Twitter and thought I’d come and have a look at your words. I had not heard of that first one and how to say it is another mystery. LOL! The second one I believe I have heard somewhere but can’t say where or when, although it’s quite possible I’m mixing it up with another similar word. Naturally I can’t think what that is either at the moment. Interesting ‘Wondrous Words’ post, I always enjoy Yvonne’s when she does them.

3. April 29, 2020 7:05 am

Of the two I’d be likely to use the second word but I wish I could slip the first into conversation 🙂

4. April 29, 2020 7:18 am

I believe I can use both of these, one with my kayaking buddy (who is also a word nerd), and the other with my naturalist friends. Excellent.

5. April 29, 2020 7:47 am

I for one am happy not to have to use poikilotherm – I am not a fan of frogs! But cool word!

6. April 29, 2020 10:44 am

Hi,
    Poikilotherm….I can’t even pronounce…lol. The second word I would never use as I don’t get in water over my head. Fear of drowning rules that one out…lol…thanks for sharing your words. Have a great day!

7. Lloyd Russell permalink
    April 29, 2020 10:54 am

2 emphatic No’s!

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Apr 29, 2020 at 12:01 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

8. April 29, 2020 1:55 pm

I didn’t know either but loved learning what they mean.

9. May 3, 2020 2:37 am