April 15, 2020

IN THE COMPANY OF OTHERS by Jan Karon was the source for a few more new-to-me words.

1. trug – “Anna came in from the entrance hall with a trug of purple iris.”

A trug is a shallow oblong basket made of strips of wood, traditionally used for carrying garden flowers and produce.

_________________________________________

2. parge – “The hut was a small, parged building with a couple of stone steps to the door and a single room.”

Parge is a verb that means cover with plaster or mortar.

_________________________________________

3. plenish – “The tears he had witnessed in his life as a priest might plenish a river.”

I’m familiar with replenish so I was able to figure this one out but have never heard it used before.  Plenish means to fill up; stock; furnish.

_________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. April 15, 2020 3:29 am

Hi Kathy,

A great set of words, of which I knew one (trug) and like yourself, could probably have guessed at (plenish). (parge) is totally new to me, so thanks for sharing!

I have come across both the author and this particular series mentioned often before on our fellow bloggers sites, however for some reason I have never bothered checking it out, possibly because the titles make me think of something else entirely.

I took the time to consult with Goodreads this morning though and I do like the sound of these books, although I was wondering if you know whether they work okay as stand alone stories, as I am quite a way behind in the series?

Hope that you are all keeping well 🙂

Yvonne
    xx

No post from me this week, I’m afraid, but I hope to join in again very soon!

2. Mae Sander permalink
    April 15, 2020 6:08 am

Good words; new to me.
    My word today is “chicanes” — see

be well… mae

3. Kathy Lorenz permalink
    April 15, 2020 7:09 am

Two out of three. Parge sounds silly to me.

Sent from my iPhone Kathryn Lorenz

4. April 15, 2020 7:10 am

Plenish makes sense in context but I’ve never used it.

5. April 15, 2020 7:45 am

A trug full of flowers seems like a great thing to have, even if it sounds prettier than the word “trug” sounds! :–)

6. Lloyd Russell permalink
    April 15, 2020 10:59 am

I got #3 (and only #3!) for the same reason.

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 12:01 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

7. April 15, 2020 1:28 pm

I knew plenish but not the other two.

8. April 15, 2020 4:38 pm

Yes I cold figure out that lat one too

9. April 15, 2020 4:46 pm

Interesting words! Plenish makes sense, although I’ve only heard replenish. Thanks for sharing these words from your book.

10. April 16, 2020 8:12 am

All three sound like words one might desperately make up during a difficult Scrabble game.