April 1, 2020

This word is from A HUNDRED SUNS by Karin Tanabe.

1. lorgnette – “It’s like jumping inside a lorgnette, the view is so good.”

A lorgnette is a pair of glasses or opera glasses held in front of a person’s eyes by a long handle at one side.

________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. April 1, 2020 6:03 am

Hi Kathy,

Lorgnette is very much a European word, which Is why I probably know of it.

The book you found the word in also sounds very intriguing and emotional, although I am still in two minds about adding it to my own list, as I am actively trying to take tighter control of how many books I have around the place and on various devices, which I shall never have any hope of reading!

As I am on lockdown with hubbie, I am going to try and finish off a WWW selection I have half started and get it posted to Mister Linky later.

Thanks for hosting and Stay Safe 🙂

Yvonne
    xx

2. April 1, 2020 6:46 am

I know I’ve read it in historical but without context I’d need to look it up.

3. Mae Sander permalink
    April 1, 2020 8:23 am

I thought Marguerite Dumont had a lorgnette in the Captain Spaulding scenes of Groucho Marx movies, but I can’t find any more about it. Women in some Oscar Wilde plays do sometimes wear them according to stage directions. I definitely associate it with that type of character!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

4. April 1, 2020 9:31 am

I like this word and your graphic to go along with it.

Great sentence too….clever.

Thanks for sharing.

5. April 1, 2020 10:36 am

Sounds like an interesting use of the word by Tanabe!

6. April 1, 2020 10:47 am

Didn’t know that was the name of them. I only knew them as Opera Glasses.

7. Lloyd Russell permalink
    April 1, 2020 11:01 am

I knew right what this was…after I saw the picture.

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Apr 1, 2020 at 12:01 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

8. April 1, 2020 7:52 pm

I always thought it would be fun to try a pair of those.