March 18, 2020

I found two words in WILD GAME by Adrienne Brodeur.

1. mung – “Ben plucked off some bits of brown mung as he rolled his end of the net toward me.”

I’m not sure what the author meant here – if you know, please fill me in.  The only definition I could find of mung is a small, round green bean and the plant it grows on and that doesn’t work in this sentence.

_________________________________________

2. seiche – “Up, up, up I went, as if a whole ocean had been sucked up to form a rogue seiche.”

A seiche is a standing wave in an enclosed or partially enclosed body of water.

_________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. March 18, 2020 6:30 am

I know mung bean, I’ve seen it in a lot of recipes.

2. March 18, 2020 7:18 am

No idea.

3. Mae Sander permalink
    March 18, 2020 8:04 am

Online dictionary defines mung as: “something disgusting or offensive, especially filth or muck.” I guess that’s it. Source: https://www.dictionary.com/browse/mung

I guess my word today is “curry” as in the second episode of the new Ugly Delicious season on Netflix!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

4. March 18, 2020 10:29 am

I only know mung as a bean because I, believe it or not, love mung bean pasta and eat it all the time! I hope it’s not the same mung as in your reference, LOLOL

5. Beth Hoffman permalink
    March 18, 2020 10:31 am

I echo what Mary said!

6. Lloyd Russell permalink
    March 18, 2020 10:51 am

That would be no and no.

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Mar 18, 2020 at 12:04 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

7. March 18, 2020 1:35 pm

Mae’s definition of “mung” seems correct for its use in that sentence. It’s a good word, and it even sounds like its meaning.