February 5, 2020

I didn’t read much while I was at my mom’s last week so I had to turn back to my Word-a-Day calendar.

1. antonomasia – “To Irene, who often employs antonomasia in her writings, wise politicians are “Solomons,” turncoats are “Judases,” and her favorite author, Shakespeare, is simply “the Bard.”

Antonomasia is a noun that means the use of a proper name to designate a member of a class; also: the use of an epithet or title in place of a proper name.

_________________________________________

2. sastruga – “We traverse around on its north side searching for fingers of smooth, wind-deposited snow between areas of ravaged sastrugi.” — Peter Shelton, Ski, November 1995

I’m glad I had no reason to know this word!  A sastruga is a wavelike ridge of hard snow formed by the wind – usually used in plural.

_________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. February 5, 2020 4:15 am

I would never have a reason to use the snow word, living along the Texas Gulf Coast as I do, and never venturing into the cold lands during the winter. It is a beautiful word, nevertheless.

2. February 5, 2020 8:55 am

I live in the land of snow but haven’t skied in thirty years. Sastruga is a new one.

3. Felicity Grace terry permalink
    February 5, 2020 9:17 am

Both new words to me. I’m having such difficulty getting my tongue around antonomasia despite my visiting a site in which I could not just see the pronunciation but hear it.

4. Lloyd Russell permalink
    February 5, 2020 9:29 am

Uh, that would be an emphatic “No!” – twice.

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Feb 5, 2020 at 12:01 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

5. February 5, 2020 12:44 pm

Interesting words! I like the concept of antonomasias.

6. February 5, 2020 4:04 pm

I have sure never read those

7. February 6, 2020 7:08 am

Those word-a-day calendars really find obscure words. I always feel curious to know how (and if) they are used “in the wild.” My blog post yesterday was a Wordless Wednesday.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

8. February 6, 2020 8:18 am

Both new to me…but after living most of my life in the snow belt, can’t believe I never came across sastruga!

9. February 6, 2020 2:44 pm

New to words me as well! I miss having a Word-a-Day calendar.

10. February 7, 2020 7:44 am

I’m looking a snow covered yard, luckily I see no sastruga 🙂