January 29, 2020

I’m visiting my mom this week so I returned to my Word-a-Day calendar for some new to me words.

1. hereditament – “The attorney advised the relatives that all land, tenements, and herditaments would be conveyed unto the deceased’s spouse.”

This word is pretty easy to figure out.  It’s a noun that means heritable property.

_________________________________________

2. phatic – “Joe has a tendency to take even phatic inquiries seriously, so when Kristen asked him how he was feeling, I knew the answer would be much longer than “better, thanks.'”

Phatic is an adjective that means of, relating to, or being speech used for social or emotive purposes rather than for communicating information.

_________________________________________

3. mythomania – “He constantly promotes himself through his self-indulgent mythomania, playing up his own importance often at the expense of the accomplishments of his family and friends.”

Mythomania is a noun that means an excessive or abnormal propensity for lying and exaggerating.

_________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. January 29, 2020 6:43 am

Interesting words.

2. January 29, 2020 7:46 am

Mythomania is definitely a word for our time! It’s Wordy Wednesday again at my blog, and my words come with food from Julia Child.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

3. Lloyd Russell permalink
    January 29, 2020 9:28 am

I knew that the 1st one had something to do with heredity! I didn’t get 2 & 3 but thought they were good words to know.

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 12:02 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

4. January 29, 2020 2:51 pm

All are new to me

5. January 29, 2020 3:02 pm

Mythomania is a good word for many folks in our world today, I think.

6. January 29, 2020 6:49 pm

I’m guessing that phatic’s related to emphatic. Mythomania’s a good one! Your Word-a-Day calendar is a great source of vocabulary words, Kathy!