January 8, 2020

I didn’t read much over the holidays and didn’t find any new to me words in what I did read so I had to turn back to my Word-a-Day calendar this week.

1. nychthemeron – “The new diet recommends that followers fast for one nychthemeron to purify themselves before beginning the recommended eating plan.”

A Nychthemeron is a full period of night and a day.

________________________________________________

2. extremophile –  “As a microbiologist, Anna is most interested in studying how extremophiles thrive in conditions that kill most organisms.”

Extremophile is a noun that means an organism that lives under extreme environmental conditions.

________________________________________________

3. scilicet –  “‘All appointments must be approved by the United States of America, scilicet, the Presdient of the United States,’ stated the bill concerning the restructuring of the island’s government.”

Scilicet is mostly used in legal proceedings and instruments and means to wit or namely.

________________________________________________

1. January 8, 2020 7:22 am

I struck out today!

2. Lloyd Russell permalink
    January 8, 2020 10:12 am

A very solid 0-3!

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Jan 8, 2020 at 12:02 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

3. January 8, 2020 12:54 pm

Hi Kathy,

I missed out on all three words this week too! – so I guess you have us all beat 🙂

My favourite one of the three is nychthemeron. I definitely have to try dropping this into conversation, to make myself sound super intelligent!

Thanks for hosting and I’m pleased that a post so early on in the year seems to have us all stumped.

Yvonne
    xx

4. January 8, 2020 1:49 pm

No to all three

5. January 8, 2020 4:33 pm

I would need to think about that word “nychthemeron.” I am guessing that this would mean a period of about thirty-two hours, one evening and the next full day? Now I am curious, and must look it up. I wonder when this time period would be used.

6. January 8, 2020 4:33 pm

I was wrong.

“Nychthemeron /nɪkˈθɛmərɒn/, occasionally nycthemeron or nuchthemeron, is a period of 24 consecutive hours. It is sometimes used, especially in technical literature, to avoid the ambiguity inherent in the term day.”

7. January 8, 2020 8:03 pm

I am extremely interested in learning more about Extremophiles. 🙂 Great words this week, Kathy!

8. January 10, 2020 4:30 pm