January 1, 2020

I found two words in WINNERS TAKE ALL by Anand Giridharadas.

1. exoticizing – “In an ideal version of these endeavors, the winner could enjoy an enticing combination of making money, doing good, feeling virtuous, working on hard and stimulating problems, feeling her impact, reducing suffering, spreading justice, exoticizing a résumé, traveling the world, and gaining a catchy cocktail-party spiel.”

I felt rather silly for looking this up after I saw the meaning.  Exoticize is a verb that means to portray (someone or something unfamiliar) as exotic or unusual; romanticize or glamorize.

_________________________________________

2. antipode – “They made ‘associations’ — a phrase he helped make famous — ‘to hold fêtes, found seminaries, build inns, construct churches, distribute books, dispatch missionaries to the antipodes.'”

Antipode is a noun that means the direct opposite of something.

_________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. January 1, 2020 7:34 am

Antipode is new to me.

2. January 1, 2020 10:17 am

I’m always looking stuff up because I’m always forgetting everything! (or not knowing it in the first place!) :–)

3. Lloyd Russell permalink
    January 1, 2020 11:08 am

Sort of got exoticizing. Antipode sounded very familiar to me, but I definitely didn’t know what it meant.

Happy New Year!

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Jan 1, 2020 at 12:02 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

4. January 1, 2020 10:14 pm

I’ve seen these words in print but I don’t think I knew what they meant.

5. January 2, 2020 6:55 pm

Happy 2020, Kathy! I wasn’t quite sure of the meaning of either of these.

6. January 2, 2020 7:11 pm

Like Lloyd I thought antipode looked familiar, but that’s not where my mind headed at all.