December 18, 2019

Merriam-Webster Dictionary recently named “they” as the word of the year and said it was determined by data.  In September, “a non-binary pronoun” was added as fourth definition of the word.  Searches of the word “they” increased by 313% this year.  (Other highly searched words were “quid pro quo,” “impeach,” “crawdad,” and “egregious.”) Are you using the word “they” more often?

_________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. Mae Sander permalink
    December 18, 2019 7:25 am

They/their used in the singular (as in “everyone told their own story”) has been in use for 600 years, including in Shakespeare, so this recognition (plus the new sense of the word) is really overdue, I think!

I’ve been busy posting about a trip to Costa Rica so I don’t have any new words, though I might do a post on the wonderful use of the phrase “pura vida” !

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

2. December 18, 2019 7:45 am

Interesting. I haven’t noticed an increase in my usage of “they”.

3. Lloyd Russell permalink
    December 18, 2019 9:33 am

I saw that. Interesting.

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Dec 18, 2019 at 12:01 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

4. December 19, 2019 5:31 pm

THEY? I don’t think sure my usage of the word increased in 2019.

• December 19, 2019 5:32 pm

Corrected comment: THEY? I don’t think my usage of the word increased in 2019.
      (Although I’ve now stated it twice due to my typo!)