December 4, 2019

I found a few words in BRAIN CANDY by Julie Beer and Chelsea Lin.

1. alipogram – “A style of writing that deliberately omits a letter or letters is called a lipogram.”

I looked this up even though it’s defined in the sentence.  An alipogram is a composition from which the writer systematically omits a certain letter or letters of the alphabet.  An example is the book ELLA MINNOW PEA by Mark Dunn and I suspect it’s much more difficult to do than it seems.

________________________________________________

2. ageusia – “Ageusia is the inability to taste anything.”

This word is defined in the sentence too.  Ageusia is the loss of taste functions of the tongue, particularly the inability to detect sweetness, sourness, bitterness, saltiness, and umami.

________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. Veena @ The Reading Momster permalink
    December 4, 2019 3:27 am

Those are some amazing words !! How are you! It’s been so long! Glad to be back to your page.

2. December 4, 2019 6:30 am

I’m 0 for 2 today.

3. December 4, 2019 6:36 am

Great words today! I have heard of books that leave out one letter – as you say, it must be so hard!

4. Lloyd Russell permalink
    December 4, 2019 9:50 am

0-2 and absolutely no clue!

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Dec 4, 2019 at 12:01 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

5. December 4, 2019 10:22 am

I wonder how many alipograms there are. I remember reading Ella Minnow Pea and I remember hearing about a famous book where words with the letter “e” were omitted. I wonder what others are out there.

6. December 4, 2019 2:01 pm

Kathy,
    Your words this week are like brain candy to me. Great choices! Because I love good food, I hope to never get ageusia.

7. December 4, 2019 2:52 pm

Hi Kathy,

Great words today, both of them new to me.

I love little books of random facts and trivia, that I can just dip in and out of, so ‘Brain Candy’ quite appeals to me. However, I don’t think I could ever read a book full of lipogram’s. That would be simply too frustrating for words!!

I would finally get to lose weight if I suffered from ageusia, as food would just not be worth eating. But what a terrible way to do it – I enjoy my food far too much!

I also had three words for the price of two this week, as umami was new to me and one I had to look up!

Thanks for hosting and enjoy the rest of your week 🙂

Yvonne
    xx

8. December 4, 2019 3:59 pm

Didn’t know either one.

9. December 5, 2019 7:52 am

ageusia – how much thinner would I be if I was afflicted with this. And how much joy would be taken out of my life?