November 6, 2019

This word is from FENTANYL, INC by Ben Westhoff.

1. excoriation – “Though he was harshly reprimanded after China lost the First Opium War to Britain, history was subsequently revised to paint him as a hero, and students are now taught about his excoriation of Queen Victoria, written in a letter: ‘Let us ask, where is your conscience?'”

The most prevalent meaning of excoriation is to wear off the skin of but I knew that didn’t fit here so I kept searching.  In this case, excoriation means to censure scathingly.

_________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. Lloyd Russell permalink
    November 6, 2019 8:49 am

Close enough!

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Nov 6, 2019 at 12:01 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

2. Mae Sander permalink
    November 6, 2019 10:07 am

That’s interesting — I’ve never seen the meaning of exfoliation, but I often see excoriate used to mean verbally attack someone and ream them out! My wordy Wednesday post today is about Margaret Atwood.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

3. November 6, 2019 10:08 am

I knew it!

4. Beth Hoffman permalink
    November 6, 2019 10:54 am

One of my favorite words!

5. Felicity Grace terry permalink
    November 6, 2019 12:19 pm

I too had always seen excoriation used in the context of the wearing off/shredding of skin which as you say doesn’t fit here so its interesting to know that here it means to censure scathingly which makes much more sense.

6. November 6, 2019 2:51 pm

I didn’t know the meaning of this word before. I will try to remember it.

7. November 6, 2019 3:26 pm

I sure did not know this