October 23, 2019

I discovered a new word in one of my Word Genius emails this week.

1. metanoia – “I experienced a profound metanoia and renounced all of my sinful ways.”

Metanoia is a noun that can mean a transformational change in one’s way of life or a change resulting from repentance and spiritual awareness.

________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. Mae Sander permalink
    October 23, 2019 7:15 am

Interesting find in your word list — I wonder how the word is used “in the wild”?

My wednesday is wordless this week.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

2. October 23, 2019 7:29 am

This is new to me.

3. Lloyd Russell permalink
    October 23, 2019 8:47 am

That would be no.

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Oct 23, 2019 at 12:00 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

4. October 23, 2019 12:23 pm

I finished Michael Crummey’s The Innocents, set in 18th century rural Newfoundland. I always love exploring the Newfoundland vocabulary, some of which is defined on a Government of Canada (regional languages) web page.

That’s where I found bare-legged tea which is tea served without any food.

I asked a Newfoundland friend to confirm gut-foundered although I had pretty much figured out from the context that it was hungry.

5. October 23, 2019 12:26 pm

Hi Kathy,

Another new to me word, although I think that at my age, many of my sinful ways might be to firmly entrenched to be renounced! 🙂

Thanks for hosting and sharing 🙂

Yvonne
    xx

6. October 23, 2019 2:54 pm

I think I need a metanoia. My current read has a lot of words I don’t know and because it is print, I’m not doing very writing them down (nor looking them up! Too much kindle-ing lately.)

7. October 23, 2019 3:21 pm

It kind of rang a bell but I couldn’t remember what it meant.

8. October 23, 2019 6:11 pm

Excellent word this week! Word Genius sounds like a genius way to improve your vocabulary!

October 28, 2019 7:55 pm

I could guess the meaning of the word from the sentence but I honestly would have had no idea had I just seen the word.