September 18, 2019

I found a couple new words in THE DEARLY BELOVED by Cara Wall.

1. accouter – “‘It’s possible I can find out why people accouter their lives with houses and dogs and needlepoint pillows, and it’s possible this will help me understand why my own life once felt so bare.'”

Accouter means to clothe or equip in something noticeable or impressive.

________________________________________________

2. stygian – “It emerged out of the fog like the Charybdis, a stygian cliff into which he could not help but crash.”

Stygian is an adjective that means relating to the Styx River.

________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. September 18, 2019 5:51 am

The quote given with accouter really makes me think I should read that book!

2. September 18, 2019 7:34 am

I’m familiar with both but never use them.

3. Mae Sander permalink
    September 18, 2019 9:23 am

I didn’t know it could be a verb — I only knew accoutrements, defined as:
    “additional items of dress or equipment, or other items carried or worn by a person or used for a particular activity.”

Nice words!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

4. Lloyd Russell permalink
    September 18, 2019 9:37 am

Kind of got both right. But probably wasn’t quite close enough to get credit.

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Sep 18, 2019 at 12:01 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

5. Beth Hoffman permalink
    September 18, 2019 1:22 pm

I knew accouter!

6. September 18, 2019 4:10 pm

Not familiar with those

7. September 18, 2019 5:50 pm

Nice words! I’d pronounce accouter with (my version of) a French accent. I’d like to read the book, The Dearly Beloved.

8. September 19, 2019 4:24 pm

I just started the audio of this today so when I get to those two words I’ll know what they mean 🙂

October 28, 2019 8:15 pm

Had no clue on either of them!