September 4, 2019

This week’s word is from 1,001 FACTS ABOUT ANCIENT EGYPT by Nancy Honovich.

1. natron – “To purify himself for the gods, a priest shaved his head and body and chewed balls of salt called natron to clean his mouth.”

I looked this up to see what makes natron different from ordinary salt and discovered natron is a naturally occurring mixture of sodium carbonate decahydrate, sodium bicarbonate, sodium chloride, and sodium sulfate.  You can read more about it here.

_________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. September 4, 2019 8:35 am

Interesting.

2. Lloyd Russell permalink
    September 4, 2019 8:57 am

Uh, nope.

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 12:01 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

3. September 4, 2019 11:06 am

Interesting word…thanks for sharing.

4. September 4, 2019 4:05 pm

This is an interesting, new-to-me word. Kathy, my son just got married, so I’ve had to take a break from book blogging and reading for the past week.

5. Mae Sander permalink
    September 4, 2019 8:01 pm

Thank you for the very interesting link to the site about the ancient world. I think I had heard of natron used in ancient glass making (the glass pavilion at the Toledo museum is a great source of info about the history of glass). Chewing on it is new to me.

best…. mae at maefood.blogspot.com

September 16, 2019 5:54 pm

I know I’ve never heard of natron. Thanks for sharing!