August 21, 2019

I found a great new word in one of my Word Genius emails.

1. mondegreen – “Singing along with Hendrix, she belted out the mondegreen “Excuse me while I kiss this guy.”

I think I can use this word a lot!  It can mean a word or phrase that results from misheard language or a  made-up lyric or line that replaces a song’s real words. You can read more about it and learn how it’s pronounced here.

_________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. August 21, 2019 6:32 am

I’m sure we have experience with mondegreens. Thanks for the link which answered my question “why mondegreen?” 😀

2. August 21, 2019 7:33 am

I wonder about the origins of “mondegreen.” I think I will have to look it up.

3. Lloyd Russell permalink
    August 21, 2019 8:39 am

I just got this word a couple of days ago in a word-of-the-day website that I belong to…and I still didn’t remember it!

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Aug 21, 2019 at 12:03 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

4. Beth Hoffman permalink
    August 21, 2019 10:49 am

I was clueless!

5. August 21, 2019 2:19 pm

I’ve always loved that word and think of that poor Scottish hero being paired off with the Lady in death when he was actually only being laid to rest on the village green.

6. August 21, 2019 3:32 pm

I did not know that it had a name

7. August 21, 2019 6:16 pm

What a great word! I never knew there was a word for that. I tend to “fill in” song lyrics as well at times. 🙂

8. Mae Sander permalink
    August 21, 2019 10:23 pm

I love mondegreens! There are so many collections of them.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

September 16, 2019 5:58 pm

Matt would love this word! He’s excellent at coming up with them — deliberately or not!