August 14, 2019

I didn’t get much reading done while I was at my mom’s last week, so I had to turn back to my Word-a-Day calendar.

1. impious – “Hydaspes ends his speech by appealing to the gods’ forgiveness for his impious words.” — Silvia Montiglio, Ancient Narrative, January 1, 2010

Impious is an adjective that means marked by irreverence toward a deity, a person, or a thing.

___________________________________________

2. lucubration – “The historical archives include handwritten lucubrations from Benjamin Franklin himself.”

Lucubration is a noun that means laborious or intensive study; also: the product of such study – usually used in plural.

___________________________________________

3. valetudinarian – “Will complains constantly of his aches, pains, and sniffles; he is truly a valetudinarian.”

I know someone just like Will.  A valetudinarian is a person of a weak or sickly constitution; especially: one whose chief concern is being or becoming a chronic invalid.

___________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. August 14, 2019 7:57 am

“Valetudinarian” sounds too much like “valedictorian” to me, and that gives it an air of positivity that it doesn’t have. It is an excellent word, though. The older I get, the more people I know who fall into this category, including, at times, myself.

2. Kathy Lorenz permalink
    August 14, 2019 8:19 am

I guess I was valétudinaire (the word in French which my French autocorrect knew immediately!) about my thumb last night. It’s hurting again, btw.

Sent from my iPhone Kathryn Lorenz

3. Lloyd Russell permalink
    August 14, 2019 9:18 am

Not only 0/3, but a solid 0/3!

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 12:01 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

4. August 14, 2019 9:57 am

I was close with #1 thinking of impish when I saw the word 🙂

5. Mae Sander permalink
    August 14, 2019 2:59 pm

Good words! As everyone says — valetudinarian is a very useful word. I even speak it out loud from time to time about “Certain People.”

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

6. August 14, 2019 4:38 pm

I thought I knew, but I did not

7. August 14, 2019 5:52 pm

Like Deb, I was “fooled” by the word, valetudinarian. Impious is the opposite of pious. Excellent words this week!

August 16, 2019 11:43 am

Do I know who is a valetudinarian??? Just kidding! I also wonder if imp is derived from impious!