August 7, 2019

I subscribed to Word Genius, a website that sends out a new vocabulary word email daily.  I’m happy to report that most days, it’s a word I know but here’s one that’s new to me.

1. esurient – “He skipped breakfast, so by lunch he was positively esurient.”

“Don’t be so esurient when it comes to money — there’s dignity in having what you need and no more.”

Esurient is an adjective.  In the first sentence it means hungry and in the second it means greedy.  I think this is a word I can use on a regular basis.

________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. August 7, 2019 6:56 am

It’s a lovely idea to receive one word a day to add to one’s vocabulary. I feel the need to add some new words to my own vocabulary. I’m reading Moby Dick and I’m astonished at both the literary references and the vocabulary of Melville. Melville wasn’t particularly well educated for his time, so it’s really remarkable.

2. Mae Sander permalink
    August 7, 2019 8:48 am

I was curious to see how the word _esurient_ is used by writers in the wild, so I googled it, and the first six pages are ALL refs to dictionaries or spelling thesauruses or scrabble pages, with a few times it’s used self-consciously as a proper noun (like as a record label). Very unusual word, I wonder if anyone ever really does use it!

My Wednesday today is Wordless!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

3. August 7, 2019 11:43 am

I don’t think I’ve heard this word in day-to-day conversation but can see its usefulness! Might get some blank looks?

4. August 7, 2019 1:28 pm

I don’t remember ever hearing this word, but it seems it could be used often.

5. August 7, 2019 4:12 pm

Never heard that one

6. August 8, 2019 5:34 pm

Great new-to-me word! Your vocabulary is expanding, and pretty soon, you will be a bonafide Word Genius, Kathy!

August 16, 2019 11:46 am

I like how you showed the different ways it can be used. It actually is a word that I could fit into my vocabulary.