July 24, 2019

This week’s words are from FIVE DAYS AT MEMORIAL by Sheri Fink.

1. peristylium – “In the evening, festivalgoers would be invited within the Ionic columns of an open-air peristylium and dance for hours to the beat of the Hotsy Totsy Jazz Band.”

A peristylium is an open interior space surrounded by columns.

____________________________________________

2. amphora – “An amphora under the crook of his arm was tipped, its contents gushing.”

An amphora is a jar with two vertical handles used in antiquity for the storage and transportation of foodstuffs.

____________________________________________

3. agonal breathing – “There was one patient who was still alive on the seventh floor at that time but was experiencing agonal breathing.”

Agonal breathing is the medical term used to describe struggling to breathe or gasping.

____________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. July 24, 2019 5:48 am

That book sounds interesting!

2. Beth Hoffman permalink
    July 24, 2019 8:05 am

I recognized “peristylium” but the others are new to me!

3. Lloyd Russell permalink
    July 24, 2019 9:49 am

I knew amphora the minute I saw the definition! And I probably could have gotten agonal breathing if I had thought about it a little bit. Instead, it’s an 0-fer.

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Jul 24, 2019 at 12:01 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

4. Mae Sander permalink
    July 24, 2019 10:53 am

Peristyle is a more evolved-into-English version of the word — used pretty commonly in buildings of a classic type. Example: the Toledo Ohio Museum of Art has a peristyle and their concerts are often titled “Peristyle Concerts.”

Nice words!

Best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

5. July 24, 2019 2:19 pm

I know agonal breathing but I couldn’t remember what it meant. I’ve =never heard the other 2 words.

6. July 24, 2019 2:21 pm

Hi Kathy,

Probably not a book I would choose to read, it does however sound really interesting, a good piece of investigative journalism, and of course, a wealth of great new words!

You win 3-0 this week, as I didn’t know any of your words, but I particularly like the sound of an amphora!

Thanks for hosting and sharing and enjoy the rest of your week 🙂

Yvonne
    xx

7. July 24, 2019 4:20 pm

I knew Amphora 🙂

8. July 24, 2019 6:53 pm

I learned three new words today–thanks!

9. cherylmash permalink
    July 25, 2019 7:02 am

Thank you for sharing because I just learned two new words today. The 3rd I knew from my nursing days.

10. July 25, 2019 8:25 am

New to me!

August 16, 2019 11:53 am

All three are new to me. I probably could have figured out what the last one meant!