July 17, 2019

I found a few more words in WHERE THE CRAWDADS SING by Delia Owens.

1. hardpan – “When finished, they moved on to new spots, leaving tracks of thirst and hardpan behind.”

Hardpan is a noun that means a hardened impervious layer, typically of clay, occurring in or below the soil and impairing drainage and plant growth.

_________________________________________

2. duff – “The moist duff felt cool on her feet as she neared a cluster of intensely yellow toadstools.”

In this sentence, duff means the partly decayed organic matter on the forest floor.

_____________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. July 17, 2019 8:00 am

I’m getting more interested than ever in reading that book! My current blog post is a little wordy — It’s a book review but there’s one bit about the literal meaning of “the limelight.”

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

2. July 17, 2019 8:26 am

OMG, hardpan! Good to know there’s a name for what is in our alleged “yard” LOL

3. July 17, 2019 9:08 am

both are new to me!

4. Lloyd Russell permalink
    July 17, 2019 9:45 am

Both sounded familiar, but I I didn’t get either one of them. Rats.

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Jul 17, 2019 at 12:00 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

5. July 17, 2019 4:47 pm

I can’t wait to read this book – my book club picked it for September. Looks like I’ll be learning some new words, because I didn’t know either of these!

6. July 17, 2019 7:47 pm

Both words are new to me! I’d really like to read this best-selling book.

7. July 17, 2019 8:08 pm

Which gives me pause at the thought of the classic Newfoundland steamed pudding: figgy duff 😉

8. July 18, 2019 1:50 am

Duff, nice!

9. July 20, 2019 12:48 pm

Good ones! Thanks. Duff and hardpan would be great for some western novel.

August 16, 2019 11:55 am

I knew where these words came from before I even looked! Had to be CRAWDADS!