June 26, 2019

This week’s words are from ASK AGAIN, YES by Mary Beth Keane.

1. dote – “‘You’re a dote,’ Francis would say to the baby when she finished, and then flip her to his shoulder for a burp.”

Dote is Irish slang and is a term of endearment that means someone is cute.

________________________________________________

2. currach – Almost every afternoon, for a period of minutes, the shape of a currach hung on the wall across from his bed, but when he looked away and turned back to it slowly, it was never there.

A currach is a small round boat propelled with a paddle.

________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. June 26, 2019 3:15 am

I knew the boat 🙂

2. June 26, 2019 6:26 am

I can never get through a book with Irish slang without an online dictionary! Interesting how many different words they have!

3. June 26, 2019 7:12 am

I’ve never heard of either of those words, and I suspected they might be Irish. I had to look up the book. NPR gave it a rave review. I’ll be curious to see what you think.

4. Mae Sander permalink
    June 26, 2019 7:36 am

Nice Irish words. They always come up with such colorful and expressive things. Like making the verb “to dote” into a noun for a baby.

I posted Wordless Wednesday a day early. Maybe I’ll come up with a wordy post later on today.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

5. June 26, 2019 7:48 am

I knew currach 🙂

6. Lloyd Russell permalink
    June 26, 2019 9:12 am

#1 is interesting because “to dote on” is to pay special attention to. I guess that’s the American version.

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 12:01 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

7. June 26, 2019 9:21 am

I’m reading this book now, too, and also had to look up currach.

8. June 26, 2019 10:07 am

Dote really has a unique meaning here.

9. June 26, 2019 2:24 pm

Didn’t know either word. I have this on hold at the library but I’m #8 on the list. I can’t wait to see what you think of it.

10. June 27, 2019 6:05 pm

I did not know either of these words! I hope to remember them.

11. June 27, 2019 8:25 pm

I very rarely look a word up, but I found this in my Thich Nhat Hanh reading this week, ameliorate (“ameliorate your suffering”) I guessed correctly the meaning, but was surprised to see a word I’d never seen before. ameliorate = make (something bad or unsatisfactory) better.

July 12, 2019 6:53 am

I loved this book!!! So neat that we could learn a few new words too!