June 19, 2019

I’ve found several new words in BOTTLE OF LIES by Katherine Eban.

1. noisome – “On the face of it, the K&K crabmeat plant was a noisome place that might have raised anyone’s suspicions.”

I feel like I should have known this word but I couldn’t define it.  Noisome means having an extremely offensive smell.

____________________________________________

2. excipients – “These are often manufactured separately and sold to other pharma companies, which then add ingredients known as excipients to make a finished drug.”

I looked this up even though it’s explained in the sentence. An excipient is an inactive substance that serves as the vehicle or medium for a drug or other active substance, like coloring agents, preservatives, and fillers.

____________________________________________

3. fungible – “Yet Ranbaxy was treating data as an entirely fungible marketing tool, apparently without consideration for the impact on patients.”

When something is fungible it is able to replace or be replaced by another identical item; mutually interchangeable.

____________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. June 19, 2019 6:17 am

Definitely reflects your reading of an exposé!

2. Lloyd Russell permalink
    June 19, 2019 9:22 am

I thought I knew “noisome” too. But I was definitely wrong.

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Jun 19, 2019 at 12:01 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

3. Beth Hoffman permalink
    June 19, 2019 10:35 am

Excipients is a new word for me!

4. June 19, 2019 10:54 am

I never would have guessed that ‘noisome’ related to the nose and the ears!

5. June 19, 2019 6:51 pm

I thought noisome had something to do with noise. Now I know that it means very stinky.
    Excellent words this week, Kathy!

6. June 20, 2019 7:20 am

I guessed wrong on noisome and had no clue on the other two.

7. June 22, 2019 6:33 am

Word one and three are words that seem familiar. I’m sure I’ve seen them in print, but I don’t think I was clear about their meanings. In a way, they are confusing because you can’t rely on understanding of the words based on using any sort of root word.

July 12, 2019 6:55 am

Fungible is the only one that I knew from this list!