June 12, 2019

I’ve found a few words in YOUR SECOND LIFE BEGINS WHEN YOU REALIZE YOU ONLY HAVE ONE by Raphaëlle Giordano.

1. routinitis – “You’re probably suffering from a kind of acute routinitis.”

I thought this might be a made up word and was surprised to learn routinitis is the dulling of joy, creativity, and passion in your individual life and is suffered by those who feel caught in a life of routine.

_________________________________________

2. caryatid – “A caryatid seemed to look askance at me as I went in through a big doorway and reached a luxurious vestible.”

A caryatid is a stone carving of a draped female figure, used as a pillar to support the entablature of a Greek or Greek-style building.

_____________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. Mae Sander permalink
    June 12, 2019 7:01 am

Caryatids featured in my Greek Art class in college, so I know that one! My Wednesday this week is Wordless. I’ll fight that routinitis! (My spell checker doesn’t think it’s a word, btw).

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

2. Lloyd Russell permalink
    June 12, 2019 9:25 am

Guessed Routinitis. No clue with Caryatid.

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 12:04 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

3. June 12, 2019 9:36 am

Oh I certainly know some people who are experts when it comes down to routinitis. Great word thought like you I would have thought it was ‘made up’.

4. June 12, 2019 9:55 am

Didn’t know routinitis is a word but I guessed correctly.

5. June 12, 2019 10:38 am

I once went off on a tangent doing all this research on why women were used to hold up buildings but all I could find was that they were always holding up bowls of fruit on their heads or whatever so why not buildings! But I suspect my googling wasn’t up to academic standards, LOL

6. June 12, 2019 11:42 am

Hi Kathy,

An interesting, if slightly cheesy storyline to your featured book, although it did throw up a couple of new to me words!

I was even more intrigued on reading this line from the premise …

“I’m a routinologist.”

The only reference I could find to either this, or your word routinitis, was on the page of a Hong Kong based life coach, who seems to have invented his own style of coaching, known as ‘routinology’.

I’m not too sure how confident I would be in becoming one of his clients – but then I fear that’s because I can relate quite closely to Samuel’s definition of someone suffering from routinitis, so I might well try out the word on a few of my friends and family!

Now, caryatids is a much more interesting word to check out, so thanks for sharing and hosting this week 🙂

Yvonne
    xx

7. June 12, 2019 4:09 pm

I have read the second, but could not remember what it meant

8. June 13, 2019 8:26 am

It does still sound like someone made up that word and then it caught on.

June 18, 2019 8:25 pm

So routinitis is exactly what it sounds like! I had no idea those statues had a name!