May 22, 2019

Last week’s beach read didn’t have any new-to-me words so I had to turn back to my Word-a-Day calendar.

1. quisling – “Many of the politicians supporting the peace process have found themselves being derided by their opponents as either naïve idealists or opportunistic quislings.”

A quisling is one who commits treason: collaborator.

_________________________________________________

2. mala fide – “The company’s board is accused of acting mala fide and with criminal intentions.”

Mala fide is an adverb or adjective that means with or in bad faith.

_________________________________________________

3. hypnagogic – “Other symptoms that can develop gradually include sleep paralysis, and hypnogogic hallucinations.” — Belfast Telegraph, April 6, 2011

Hypnagogic is an adjective that means of, relating to, or occurring in the period of drowsiness immediately preceding sleep.

_________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. May 22, 2019 6:55 am

It’s interesting to me that these word-a-day calendars have been going on for years, and they still find bunches of new words to feature!

2. May 22, 2019 8:46 am

I agree with rhapsody!

3. May 22, 2019 9:28 am

Don’t you just love it when one of the words is familiar to you? Feeling very clever today in that the only word I didn’t know was ‘quisling’.

4. May 22, 2019 9:30 am

My WWW post today concentrates on regional words. I wonder how many of them you’ll have heard.

5. May 22, 2019 9:31 am

My WWW today concentrates on regional words. I wonder how many you’ll know.

6. Lloyd Russell permalink
    May 22, 2019 9:32 am

I liked them all but didn’t know any of them!

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 12:01 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

7. May 22, 2019 9:33 am

All new, the third makes sense.

8. May 22, 2019 1:40 pm

All are new to me.

9. May 22, 2019 4:07 pm

I know all 😀 The first one is super easy, neighbor country after all

10. May 23, 2019 12:50 am

Excellent, new-to-me words this week. I miss my Word-a-Day calendar!

June 10, 2019 4:03 pm

I knew mala fide or I could figure it out from Latin class. I love quisling and I’m surprised we don’t hear that more now!