April 24, 2019

My first word is from DREAMLAND by Sam Quinones.

1. appartchik – “As a group, it appears none fell to it harder than the children of Russian Pentecostals who came fleeing persecution and found U.S. pop culture a greater challenge than anything a Soviet appartchik could invent.”

Appartchik is often used in a derogatory manner and means a member of a Communist Party apparat.

________________________________________________

This word is from INHERITANCE by Dani Shapiro

2. accretion – “I have spent my life attempting to make meaning out of random events, to shape stories out of an accretion of senseless, chaotic detail.”

Accretion is a noun that means a thing formed or added by gradual growth or increase.

________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. April 24, 2019 6:23 am

Ah, accretion. I can use it in a sentence! I hurt my leg and have to sit all day with it up – the weight is accreting …. (if that verb form is correct)

2. Mae Sander permalink
    April 24, 2019 6:25 am

Good words! I remember apparatchik from articles about the Soviet Union before it fell apart!

My word today is “ritz” as in Puttin’ on the Ritz, because I reviewed a book, “Ritz & Escoffier” about the two men who invented the extreme style of the luxurious Ritz Hotel in Paris. And one of their names became the English word for this type of luxury —

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

3. Lloyd Russell permalink
    April 24, 2019 9:22 am

I at least knew that “apparatchik” had something to do with Russia. And I pretty much, but not exactly, got “accretion.” I’ll take it!

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

On Wed, Apr 24, 2019 at 12:01 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

4. April 24, 2019 10:52 am

Both new to me, thanks for this week’s picks. Some words I find easy to use in a sentence, others (these two included) more challenging but use them I will.

5. Carol Evans permalink
    April 24, 2019 11:29 am

I kinda knew accretion, but the other is new to me.

6. April 24, 2019 11:48 am

Thank you, both new to me, although accretion sounds like what it means.

7. April 24, 2019 2:25 pm

I have never read those

8. April 24, 2019 4:23 pm

Those are two “a” words that I have never heard of.

9. April 24, 2019 4:38 pm

Both are new to me!

10. April 25, 2019 12:23 am

Accretion does sound like its meaning. Your “A” words deserve an A++!

11. April 25, 2019 9:37 am

I love Wondrous Words. I always learn something new!

12. May 15, 2019 6:30 pm

I only knew accretion. But that’s pretty good for me all things considered.