March 20, 2019

Just one word this week.  It’s from PAPER BOY by Tony Macaulay.

1. dulse – “This was in Ballycastle, County Antrim, beside the sea, where you got ‘yellowman’ honeycomb that stuck in your teeth, and dulse that made you sick on your parallels in the minibus on the way home.”

Dulse is a seaweed or sea vegetable with a salty flavor that is often consumed as a snack.  Have you ever eaten dulse?

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. March 20, 2019 7:34 am

I think we are both reading books about Ireland and learning new local words. Today I wrote about some of those words in the novel “Sweet Little Lies” by Caz Frear — https://maefood.blogspot.com/2019/03/sweet-little-lies.html

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

2. March 20, 2019 8:54 am

I’ve never eaten dulse – or heard of it!

3. March 20, 2019 9:01 am

When I read books set in Ireland I have to keep an Irish idioms dictionary open on my computer! Actually, for books set anywhere in the UK!

4. Lloyd Russell permalink
    March 20, 2019 9:29 am

How can I eat something that I’ve NEVER HEARD OF? The answer is a resounding “No!”

March 20, 2019 10:23 am

I knew of dulse and have actually eaten it on a trip to Grand Manaan…it’s rumored to be great for “lady” issues! I t doesn’t taste bad at all!

6. March 20, 2019 10:32 am

I’ve eaten a lot of seaweed and seaweed type snacks when I lived in Japan. Does that count? But I can’t say I’ve eaten dulse in Ireland.

7. March 20, 2019 2:21 pm

I dulse would make me feel sick – on a minibus or no! Thanks for sharing.

8. March 20, 2019 4:00 pm

Nope, but I am curious now

9. March 20, 2019 8:00 pm

I may have had dulse, although it may have been called something else. I hope you are enjoying your book, Paper Boy.

10. March 21, 2019 2:13 pm

I know I commented on this already but I must have hit the “x” before it finished posting 😦

My comment was that as much as I love and know about the sea you’d think I’d have known this word, I didn’t.

11. March 28, 2019 1:38 pm

A friend gave me some dulse she gathered on the shore near her vacation camper here in Nova Scotia. I didn’t care for it, but it wasn’t repulsive. Perhaps an acquired tasted.

April 2, 2019 7:37 am

I am not familiar with dulse and don’t think I want to be….