March 6, 2019

I found several new to me words in SMALL FRY by Lisa Brennan-Jobs:

1. baize – “The grass at the resort was mown short as baize and dotted with shade from palm trees with long, thing trunks, like strings.”

Baize is a coarse, typically green woolen material resembling felt, used for covering billiard and card tables.  I always called that material felt.

_____________________________________________________

2. abstemious – “The purity and abstemiousness of our diet, the sparse furnishings of the house exposing the beauty of its bones, beams like ribs; the entrance unlocked, so that anyone could wander in: a holy quiet.”

This is one of those words I felt I should be able to define but couldn’t.  Abstemious means not self-indulgent, especially when eating and drinking.

_____________________________________________________

3. gamboge – “I picked at the splotches on the board she used as a palette — indigo, carmine, white, gamboge, which seemed to be a dull, pasty brown but when mixed with water became electric yellow, the color of a mosquito whine.”

Gamboge is is a partially transparent deep saffron to mustard yellow pigment. It is used to dye Buddhist monks’ robes.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. March 6, 2019 4:45 am

New to me 🙂

2. March 6, 2019 6:35 am

I too have always called what is apparently baize, felt. Then again, I only just found out yesterday that “pool” is a different game than “billiards.” Obviously, either one not something I play, LOL

3. March 6, 2019 8:38 am

I love it that are so many wondrous words out there. Even though I’m in my sixties, I always find new words each week.

4. March 6, 2019 8:50 am

As always your word selection makes me very curious about the book that offered you this interesting vocabulary! My word today is “Blackface” — a newsworthy choice.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

5. March 6, 2019 10:01 am

I agree with you on “abstemious.” I felt like I should be able to define it. Wrong! And I knew “baize,” but didn’t. The 3rd one was brand new. P.S. I always look forward to Wondrous Words Wednesday, even though I can’t define the words most of the time.

Lloyd (408) 348-4849

P.S. I’m clicking “replay” since I can’t seem to make it work by actually going on the website.

On Wed, Mar 6, 2019 at 12:00 AM Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme where you > can share new words that you’ve encountered or spotlight words you love. > Feel free to get creative! If you want to play along, grab the button, > write a post and come back and add your link to Mr. ” >

6. Beth Hoffman permalink
    March 6, 2019 10:30 am

I knew gamboge. I often use yellow gamboge when I’m working on a painting.

7. March 7, 2019 1:20 am

I knew the meaning of #2, but the other two are new to me. Small Fry is also new to me. Thank you for sharing your words, Kathy!

8. March 7, 2019 6:44 pm

I always call it felt!

9. March 13, 2019 7:38 pm

It’s felt for me too. I’ve never heard of baize,

March 14, 2019 6:46 am

Cool words. I had a feeling about some of them from the sentences’ contexts.