September 12, 2018

Here are a few more words from WOMEN IN SUNLIGHT by Frances Mayes.

1. emprise – “Such an emprise takes time but was accomplished: Susan opted to close her Chapel Hill house, not sell.”

Emprise is an adventurous, daring, or chivalric enterprise.

_____________________________________________________

2. haruspex – “Or a poet is a haruspex, in Etruscan times the one who divined meaning and future by the markings on the exposed liver of a sacrificial animal.”

This one was pretty much defined in the sentence but I looked it up anyway.  A haruspex is diviner in ancient Rome basing his predictions on inspection of the entrails of sacrificial animals.

_____________________________________________________

3. caravansary – “Stunned, they see at the opposite end San Marco looming like a fairyland caravansary in a mirage in the east.”

A caravansary is an inn surrounding a court in eastern countries where caravans rest at night.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. September 12, 2018 7:27 am

Wondrous words indeed — HARUSPEX is one of my favorite words ever, and I can hardly ever figure out how to use it!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

2. September 12, 2018 8:45 am

Interesting words – I bet the author enjoyed using them in her novel!

3. September 12, 2018 9:23 am

Didn’t know any of them. But at least I had heard the word “caravansary” before!

4. Beth Hoffman permalink
    September 12, 2018 11:27 am

Clueless on all of them!

5. September 12, 2018 11:57 am

Sisyphean is a word I learnt recently. A Sisyphean task means a task that can never be completed, named after the Greek god Sisyphus who was cursed to roll a boulder up a hill for eternity.

6. September 12, 2018 11:57 am

I think my eye would have gone right over emprise and caravansary. I would have thought enterprise and just plain caravans. I like both words, however, as they are interesting. Good eye Kathy.

• September 13, 2018 5:31 pm

Margot, I totally agree with you about ’emprise / enterprise’ and ‘caravan / caravansary’, although I really do like the sound of ‘haruspex’ 🙂

7. September 12, 2018 12:07 pm

Very interesting. I like emprise… sounds like something I’d like to wow my teens with. 😉

8. September 12, 2018 12:37 pm

3 more new words for me!

9. September 12, 2018 2:57 pm

I knew the last one thanks to a song 😀

10. September 12, 2018 3:52 pm

I read and loved that book but I remember none of those words!

11. September 12, 2018 4:25 pm

All new words to me! 🙂

12. September 12, 2018 5:19 pm

Wonderful words! I participated in this one today – an excellent meme indeed!

13. September 13, 2018 5:24 pm

These are all new words to me, as indeed are both book and author.

I do enjoy good descriptive narrative and dialogue, but perhaps even for me, ’emprise’ and ‘caravansary’, are a little over the top, when more conventional words will do the job just as well.

Haruspex on the other hand, is an ancient word for which there is no known modern day equivalent and has such interesting historical detail, to be discovered and explored.

A great bundle of words this time and you came up trumps with them all belonging to the same book!

Thanks for hosting and sharing.

Happy Reading 🙂

Yvonne
    xx

14. September 13, 2018 6:07 pm

Wonderful words this week from the Sunlight book! I will try to remember/use them.

September 22, 2018 10:43 am

Holy moly — that book has a lot of words I don’t know!