August 29, 2018

I’ve found a lot of new-to-me words in WOMEN IN SUNLIGHT by Frances Mayes.  Here are a few of them:

1. boustrophedon – “Isn’t boustrophedon the ongoing form of writing that mimics the turns an ox makes when plowing a field?”

Boutstrophedon is written words going from right to left and from left to right in alternate lines.

_____________________________________________________

2. benison – “Again, not money like the digital whizzes or even like my cousin in real estate, but a benison for me.”

A benison is a blessing.

_____________________________________________________

3. diamantine – “As Colin puts down the fire, I step outside to see the black woolly sky punctured with diamantine stars.”

Diamantine is an adjective that means made from or reminiscent of diamonds.  I think it’s the perfect way to describe stars.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. August 29, 2018 6:45 am

I’ve always wondered if there are any historic examples of Greek writing that changes direction– like on a stone carving 3000 years old? That sounds like an intriguing book with those words.

My Wednesday this week is wordless, not wordy — https://maefood.blogspot.com/2018/08/wordless-wednesday-in-lap-of-buddha.html

best,
    mae at maefood.blogspot.com

2. August 29, 2018 9:08 am

Just the sound/look of ‘diamantine’ makes me happy. It has a glamorous feel to it!

3. August 29, 2018 9:16 am

A perfect 0-3, although diamintine at least makes sense.

4. August 29, 2018 10:28 am

WENK OHW

5. August 29, 2018 11:10 am

I love that text but if I use my left hand I write totally backwards but then I get a headache!

6. August 29, 2018 12:35 pm

I find boustrophedon is quite fascinating. It would be fun to try working that for a page o two.

7. August 29, 2018 2:30 pm

All new to me!

8. August 29, 2018 3:34 pm

Diamantine is a lovely word with a lovely meaning. Benison (rhymes with venison,I think) is a good one to know and use! Thanks for sharing these terrific words, Kathy.

9. August 29, 2018 4:57 pm

Diamantine is the only one I figured out on my own.

10. August 30, 2018 9:09 am

That first word is just crazy! What a neat thing to learn today!

11. August 31, 2018 12:25 pm

boustrophedon- I’ve never seen that before. Why would anyone write that way? It’s interesting, but really makes my head hurt to try and read it.