August 1, 2018

These words came from CONVENIENCE STORE WOMAN by Sayaka Murata.

1. skive – “If I went along with the manager when he was annoyed or joined in the general irritation at someone skiving off the night shift, there was a strange sense of solidarity as everyone seemed pleased that I was angry too.”

Skive is a verb that means to avoid work or a duty by staying away or leaving early; shirk.

_____________________________________________________

2. freeter – “When I was in my early twenties it wasn’t unusual to be a freeter, so I didn’t really make excuses.”

According to Wikipedia, “freeter is a Japanese expression for people who lack full-time employment or are unemployed, excluding housewives and students. The term originally included young people who deliberately chose not to become salary-men, even though jobs were available at the time.”

_____________________________________________________

3. expurgate – “Unless I’m cured, normal people will expurgate me.”

Expurgate is a verb that means to cleanse of something morally harmful, offensive, or erroneous.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. August 1, 2018 5:24 am

Freeter’s a new one! 🙂

2. August 1, 2018 9:51 am

Nope x 3. Thought/hoped I knew “expurgate.” But didn’t.

3. Beth Hoffman permalink
    August 1, 2018 10:06 am

I knew expurgate but the others stumped me!

4. August 1, 2018 11:28 am

Freeter is interesting.

5. August 1, 2018 12:03 pm

2 out of 3 for me this time. The only one I didn’t know was ‘freeter’.

To skive, skiving or skiver, is a well known and much used word, here in the UK – although perhaps that is not something we should be proud of!

Thanks for sharing, I hope that you enjoyed the book, it does sound rather good 🙂

Yvonne
    xx

6. August 1, 2018 2:41 pm

I had at least read one once

August 1, 2018 6:28 pm

I haven’t heard of any of those!

8. August 2, 2018 9:41 am

I’m surprised at that usage of expurgate. Webster’s definition (the one I thought I knew) is:

“to cleanse of something morally harmful, offensive, or erroneous; especially : to expunge objectionable parts from before publication or presentation an expurgated edition of the letters”

I’ve never seen it used to mean omission of a person as in your quote, only to apply to a form of censorship before publication.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

9. August 2, 2018 1:10 pm

Really good words this week! I should have known expurgate–I’ve seen it before. I hope you’re enjoying or have enjoyed reading CONVENIENCE STORE WOMAN.

August 13, 2018 8:06 am

I only knew expurgate! Skive seems like one I should have known…