Book Expo 2018 – Day One

June 7, 2018
tags: ,

I was lucky enough to attend Book Expo this year and, once again, my friend Julie agreed to put up with me as a roommate.  We arrived in the city early Wednesday, May 30 and hit the ground running.  After leaving our luggage at our hotel, our first stop was John’s Pizza for lunch which is sort of a tradition for us.  From there, we headed to the Javits Center to pick up our registration.

Our only official event on Wednesday was the Adult Editors’ Buzz which is always interesting.  Right away, we noticed that 4 of the 6 featured books are nonfiction.  The titles presented were:

• THE REAL LOLITA: THE KIDNAPPING OF SALLY HORNER AND THE NOVEL THAT SCANDALIZED THE WORLD by Sarah Weinman (Ecco/Harper Collins; 9/11/2018)  This is the true story of a kidnapping in 1948 that inspired LOLITA by Vladimir Nabokov.  Weinman has a background in forensic science so this book should be well researched.
  • SHE WOULD BE KING by Wayétu Moore (Graywolf Press; 9/11/2018) This sweeping novel reimagines the founding of Liberia with a magical realism element.  It is a “thoroughly satisfying read on every level.”  Moore owns a bookstore in Monrovia
  • THERE WILL BE NO MIRACLES HERE by Casey Gerald (Riverhead/Penguin Random House; 10/2/2018)  This memoir is a “rags to riches” story.  Gerald’s mother was bi-polar and his father was addicted to narcotics so his sister left college to care for him – he was eventually recruited to play football for Yale, just as his father did.
  • MAID: HARD WORK, LOW PAY, AND A MOTHER’S WILL TO SURVIVE by Stephanie Land (Hachette; 1/29/2019) Land opens her memoir with the line, “My daughter learned to walk in a homeless shelter,” and recounts her struggle as a single mother to raise a toddler on $9 an hour.
  • SMALL ANIMALS: PARENTHOOD IN THE AGE OF FEAR by Kim Brooks (Macmillan/Flatiron; 8/21/2018) This book was inspired by an essay the author wrote for Salon – “The Day I Left My Son in the Car” and delves into the question of who decides what’s responsible parenting these days.  Brooks left her young son in the car while she ran an errand and someone took a video of the incident and showed it to the police, causing her to be involved in a 2 year legal battle.
  • OHIO: A NOVEL by Stephen Markley (Simon & Schuster; 8/21/2018) Four old friends return to their hometown, a declining town in northeast Ohio in this “timely and timeless” novel that includes a murder mystery.

After the Buzz Panel, we were lucky enough to meet up with Miriam Parker, Associate Publisher of Ecco Books and debut author of THE SHORTEST WAY HOME.  We’ve worked with Miriam for years and really enjoyed catching up with her at Gotham West Market.

From there, we headed to the TKTS booth and bought tickets for Hello, Dolly! starring Bernadette Peters.  I was thrilled to see such a legend perform – believe me, she’s still got it!  It was time to call it a day after that, since we had an event early the next morning.

1. June 7, 2018 4:15 am

Awww so jealous! Must have been fun

2. June 7, 2018 5:55 am

I’m so glad you got to see Hello Dolly! I saw it with Bette Midler and it is such a joyous show. It’s interesting that so many Book Buzz panel books were nonfiction, I don’t remember that happening before. I hope you and Julie had a great time at Book Expo. This is the first NYC show I’ve missed in nine years.

3. holdenj permalink
    June 7, 2018 6:45 am

What an adventure, and only day one. My cousin was just telling me she is planning a trip to NYC and seeing Peters in HD was one thing they have to do! Happy to hear it was fun.

4. June 7, 2018 7:05 am

What a terrific first day!!

It was nice seeing you, Kathy.

Thanks for sharing.

5. June 7, 2018 7:31 am

I saw Bette Midler in Hello Dolly! and it was amazing. Would love to see it again with Bernadette Peters. So many interesting books from Adult Editors Buzz!

6. June 7, 2018 8:34 am

Great first day. The books sound so interesting. I didn’t know Lolita was based on actual events. Bernadette Peters is amazing.

7. June 7, 2018 9:39 am

I’ve got double envy! Not only are you at BEA (which I will do someday). But you also got to a Broadway play. And a musical, no less! I would definitely expect Peters to do a great job.

8. Lauren Becker permalink
    June 7, 2018 11:06 am

Interesting that so many of the books they featured were nonfiction. I’m curious about The Real Lolita.

-Lauren

9. June 7, 2018 11:19 am

I am always so impressed by how much you pack into a day at Book Expo! Have a fantastic time and I can’t wait to read your reports.

10. June 7, 2018 12:03 pm

Ah, someday…sigh. I’ve mentioned a few times that my only BEA experience came in 2008 when it was in LA…and that was pre-blogging. So I would love to see it now when I could meet other bloggers. As much as I would adore seeing New York, I can imagine the endless crowds…and lots of walking. I need to get my walking mojo back. Practice, practice, practice. Like you in your daily walks.

You got a nice start on your haul here. I am tempted by Ohio…and The Real Lolita. I’m sure you have a lot more, as this was just Day One. Thanks for sharing.

11. June 7, 2018 1:03 pm

Ohio is on my list and I love Peters, I heard Bette is returning for Hello Dolly’s final performance so you caught the show at a good time. I love Bette too but Peters hasn’t really done anything that I know of in so long.

12. June 7, 2018 3:24 pm

Kathy, it sounds like you had a wonderful trip to the Book Expo and NY!

June 7, 2018 5:43 pm

Your first day was incredible!

14. Literary Feline permalink
    June 7, 2018 6:07 pm

You got to see Hello Dolly! How fun! It sounds like you had a great time at Expo too. I told my husband I would like to try to attend Left Coast Crime when it comes back to California, but I don’t know if that will be possible. It’s not exactly at a convenient time of year. One can dream though! I hope you enjoy all your new books!

15. June 7, 2018 7:14 pm

I think my biggest disappointment about not going to Book Expo this year, aside from not seeing my favorite bookish people, was missing Editor’s Buzz. All of the titles, especially nonfiction, sounded SO GOOD!

16. Diane D permalink
    June 7, 2018 7:24 pm

Sounds like a great start to BEA. Glad u got to see Hello Dolly.

17. June 7, 2018 10:07 pm

I like the Hello Dolly part the best!!! Waiting for next instalment.

18. Beth F permalink
    June 8, 2018 7:02 am

Well, you can’t beat that first day!!!

19. June 8, 2018 4:14 pm

Oh, I’m so glad you shared this with us. You packed so much into one day! I’m so happy for you that you got to see Hello Dolly.

June 9, 2018 6:00 pm

Well since we did everything together, I should just copy this post!! HAHA!

21. June 10, 2018 8:54 am

Sounds like you had an awesome time!

22. June 10, 2018 4:06 pm

What a great Day One. Thx for writing about this! I like the sound of the novel Ohio.

23. June 11, 2018 1:38 am

What a fun time you had! And to see Bernadette Peters in Hello, Dolly! What a thrill, I’m sure!

24. June 14, 2018 2:22 pm

Sounds like you had a fantastic time. Peters is one of my favorite actresses. I’ve loved her in Mozart in the Jungle.