June 6, 2018

I’ve found one word in my current read, THAT KIND OF MOTHER, by Rumaan Alam.

1. immolate – “Her sister had warned her of fire, and Rebecca had planned for this by thinking of devout Buddhists protesting the war by placidly immolating.”

Immolate is a verb that means kill or offer as a sacrifice, especially by burning.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. June 6, 2018 9:48 am

Definitely knew it was about burning. Didn’t know it was typically associated with sacrifice.

2. June 6, 2018 10:02 am

Nice word! I have seen it a few times.

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

3. June 6, 2018 10:10 am

Familiar with it but needed a reminder.

4. June 6, 2018 10:21 am

The word immolate brings to mind the horrific image of the monk who set himself alight in Vietnam to protest of the awful persecutions of Buddhists.

5. June 6, 2018 11:54 am

I also recall the images of the monk’s horrific protests. I didn’t know there was a special word for it.

6. June 6, 2018 1:07 pm

I had an inkling about this word, but wouldn’t have been able to offer up a concise defintion.

After reading the short extract you shared containing the word, I didn’t think that this would be a book I would enjoy. However, after checking out the full premise at Goodreads, this is a definite for my list, it sounds so intense and intriguing!

Thanks for hosting and enjoy the rest of your week 🙂

Yvonne
    xx

7. June 6, 2018 2:41 pm

Interesting word

8. June 7, 2018 12:39 am

Kathy, I will try to remember the meaning of this word.

June 9, 2018 6:02 pm

I just finished this book today! There were quite a few unusual words in it!