September 27, 2017

I found a word in a middle grade book, WORD OF MOUSE by James Patterson and Chris Grabenstein.

1. tenebrous – “For instance, tenebrous.”

Tenebrous means dark, shadowy, or obscure.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

September 27, 2017 8:48 am

I need to start writing down words. I find them and then I forget them!

2. September 27, 2017 9:43 am

Nope. But at least I recognized it as a word!

3. September 27, 2017 10:43 am

I ditto what Lloyd said!

4. September 27, 2017 12:32 pm

Well, I like tenebrous. It sounds smart, much better to say something like “the story was deep and tenebrous.” Good for the author for giving such a good word to middle graders.

5. September 27, 2017 12:58 pm

Hi Kathy,

I agree with Margot about the authors using such a good word in a children’s book, especially if the word is still in general use and has not become obscure with time!

I must admit that looking at the word, I can’t get a similar sounding word, tenuous, out of my head, which is really annoying, as I know they mean completely different things!

Love the cover art of ‘Word Of Mouse’, a shout out for illustrator Joe Sutphin

Thanks for hosting and sharing. This is still a great meme, even if there are not very many participants, please keep it going 🙂

Yvonne

6. September 27, 2017 3:02 pm

I have to start writing them down to, a good idea.

7. September 27, 2017 5:06 pm

You always find the best words. 🙂

8. September 27, 2017 6:03 pm

Tenebrous is tenebrous (obscure). Good word today!

9. September 27, 2017 6:30 pm

I thought it would relate to hearing – but I was wrong.

10. September 28, 2017 10:36 am

It’s a new one to me, but seems like one that might be useable.

11. October 4, 2017 10:20 am