BookExpo/NY 2017 Day 3

June 13, 2017

Julie (Booking Mama) and I got up early Thursday morning and grabbed a quick breakfast at Pret A Manger before heading over to the Javits Center.  I was so excited to see this poster outside the show floor:

Photo credit: Diane LaRue of BookChickDi

We knew we didn’t have much time on the show floor, so we stood in line to get in.  We walked around for a few hours talking to publicists, picking up books, and meeting authors who autographed books.   Some of the books I’m really excited about are:

• SWING IT, SUNNY by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm (Scholastic, 9/12/17) is the follow up to SUNNY SIDE UP.  Sunny’s returned home and is starting middle school.
  • THE PEOPLE WE HATE AT THE WEDDING (Flatiron Books, 6/6/17) by Grant Ginder brings the wedding of Eloise, a member of an estranged family, to life.
  • THE EXACT NATURE OF OUR WRONGS by Janet Perry (St. Martin’s Press, 9/19/17) – Hattie Campbell invites her adult children to a birthday party for their father; when one of them falls asleep in his cake, the family must deal with his addiction.
  • SLIDER by Pete Hautman (Candlewick Press, 9/12/17) is the humorous story of David, who’s training to be a competitive eater.
  • LOVE AND OTHER CONSOLATION PRIZES by Jamie Ford (Ballantine Books, 9/12/17) is based on the true story of a child who was raffled off at the 1909 Seattle World’s Fair.
  • THE DEEP DARK DESCENDING by Allen Eskens (Seventh Street Books, 10/3/17) – Detective Max Rupert discovers that his wife’s death in a hit and run accident was not an accident after all so he decides to track down the killer.
  • THE DARK LAKE by Sarah Bailey (Grand Central Publishing, 10/3/17) – When an old high school classmate is found strangled, Detective Gemma Woodstock has many puzzles to unravel.

I had to ship my books so Julie and I could head to Marseille and lunch with B. A. Paris, the best selling author of BEHIND CLOSED DOORS!  The food and the restaurant were wonderful and Bernadette was charming, personable, and fascinating.  She was so easy to talk to and had as many questions for the bloggers in attendance as we did for her.  She said she got the idea for her upcoming book, THE BREAKDOWN, from something that happened to her.  She also told us she just finished her next book – it should be out in the US next year.

After our fabulous lunch, I had to head back to the Javits to grab my luggage and head to the airport for my trip home.  My trip wasn’t long enough but I enjoyed every minute of it and appreciate Julie for putting up with me.

1. Sarah's Book Shelves permalink
    June 13, 2017 7:46 am

Exact Nature of Our Wrongs sounds great! And I loved the title of the Grant Grinder and tried an ARC, but ended up DNFing after about 20%.

June 13, 2017 8:35 am

It sounds as though this trip was close to being perfect! I am glad you had such a great time!

3. June 13, 2017 9:50 am

Sounds like you had a great time. I’m looking forward to the new Jamie Ford book.

4. Beth F permalink
    June 13, 2017 9:55 am

Slider and People We Hate both look good. A short trip but lots of fun.

5. June 13, 2017 10:37 am

Is that the same Jamie Ford who wrote Songs of Willow Frost and Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet? That’s very exciting. And I’m a big fan of Allen Eskens’ The Life We Bury. Plus the whole event just sounds like so much fun. I will get there one of these days.

6. June 13, 2017 11:12 am

It sounds like you had an action-packed trip! And when all those books arrive it will be so much fun to see them again.

7. June 13, 2017 11:12 am

Oh, you lucky person! Lunch with B. A. Paris (Bernadette). Great photo, too.

I want The Dark Lake and Deep Dark Descending. Also the Exact Nature of Our Wrongs.

Thanks for sharing!

8. June 13, 2017 11:31 am

What a great stack of books! I’m eager to hear what you think of the new Jamie Ford novel. And how fun to have lunch with B.A. Paris!! I thought Behind Closed Doors was an outstanding thriller on audio and I’m anxious to read the next book. I’ve got the ARC, but haven’t had any time to read! We’re in the final stretch of unpacking and getting settled, so I’m hoping to return to blogging in the next few weeks.

9. June 13, 2017 12:40 pm

Sounds like you had a really great time, and yay for a lunch out with an author. How fun.

10. June 13, 2017 12:49 pm

What a great trip! Sounds like you had really enjoyed BEA 🙂 Thanks for sharing. I loved reading about it. So cool that you had lunch with B.A. Paris. Enjoy your new reads!

11. June 13, 2017 3:26 pm

It sounds like you had a great time! The People We Hate At The Wedding, Slider, and Love And Other Consolation Prizes are going on my list to read.

12. June 13, 2017 3:56 pm

I wish I had been there

13. June 13, 2017 10:27 pm

I was lucky to get the Bailey book through Netgalley and I’ve requested another one from your list! The Ginder book sounds so good but unfortunately not available. I’ll be looking out for that one. Love the post.

14. June 13, 2017 11:46 pm

Kathy,
    Thank you for this terrific post! It sounds like you had a fantastic time. Books, authors, friends, food, and NY–what could be better?! Many of your new goodies appeal to me. I am especially curious about the second and fifth books in your list.

15. June 14, 2017 1:15 am

It seems to me that you had a wonderful time. Yay, so happy for you. 😁

16. June 14, 2017 9:39 am

I recognize a few bloggers in the pic! Love how B.A. Paris draws from her personal life for her books.

17. June 15, 2017 12:32 pm

I am so envious of your lunch with B.A. Paris. I have her current book on my reading list and look forward to another wild ride.

18. Literary Feline permalink
    June 16, 2017 10:18 pm

Such great books, great conversations and a fun time! I am glad you had a good time, Kathy!

June 18, 2017 11:24 am

Oh stop with the “putting up with me.” I love our trips together! You are the best roomie ever! And it was fun to revisit that last day!

20. June 19, 2017 10:00 pm

I love all of the social events you had with authors. What a treat!