BookExpo/NY 2017 Day 2

June 8, 2017

On our second day in New York, Julie (Booking Mama) and I took the train downtown so we could have breakfast with Miriam Parker, Associate Publisher at Ecco Books, at Augustine at the Beekman Hotel.  We had no trouble navigating the subway system but walked around in circles for a little while after we got off the train before we found the restaurant.  It was worth it, though – it was lovely with excellent service and we highly recommend the bacon!  Miriam’s book, THE SHORTEST WAY HOME, will be published by Dutton next year and we had lots of questions about it.  We also learned about these exciting new titles coming from Ecco:

After hearing Miriam talk about them, I want to read them all but must admit to being particularly excited about Amy Tan’s memoir, WHERE THE PAST BEGINS.

After breakfast, Julie and I walked through the Oculus to get to the 9/11 Memorial.  It was my first time there and I thought it was a beautifully moving tribute to the lives lost.

We rode the train back to midtown and bought tickets for a play before heading to the Javits Center to pick up our badges.  We got our badges and scoped things out a little bit before heading to the Editors’ Buzz Panel where we heard about:

• UNRAVELING OLIVER by Liz Nugent (Scout Press, 8/22/17) According to Jackie Cantor, Senior Editor at Scout Press, Oliver is the ultimate con man and “readers will care about this deeply troubled protagonist.”  UNRAVELING OLIVER was number 1 on the Irish Times bestseller list.
  • STAY WITH ME by Ayobami Adebayo (Alfred A. Knopf, 8/22/17) Senior Editor Jennifer Jackson said this is a story of a woman whose fertility becomes the most important thing in her life.  It was published in the UK last month.
  • MY ABSOLUTE DARLING by Gabriel Tallent (Riverhead Books, 8/29/17) Sarah McGrath, Editor in Chief at Riverhead Books said this book is both literary and commercial with breakneck suspense and page turning qualities.  She said the protagonist, Turtle, “will be held in the hearts of readers for generations.”
  • THE WORLD OF TOMORROW by Brendan Mathews (Little Brown and Co, 9/5/17) Little Brown’s Senior Editor, Ben George, said this book takes place over the course of a week in 1939 New York City with the World’s Fair as the backdrop.
  • THE IMMORTALISTS by Chloe Benjamin (Putnam, 1/9/18) Vice President and Editorial Director Sally Kim said this is an adult sibling story set in 1969 that asks, “if you knew the day you will die, how will you live your life?”
  • THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW by A. J. Finn (William Morrow, 1/23/18) Jennifer Brehl, Senior Vice President, Executive Editor, and Director of Editorial Development said this book features an agoraphobic narrator who is separated from her husband and child.  She spends her day drinking, taking drugs, and watching neighbors through the window.  A screenplay of the book is currently being written.

Once the panel was over, chaos ensued as attendees scrambled to get books.  The people in the front were wedged in and started passing books back.  They were trying to be helpful, but it made things worse as people grabbed for the books.  The man behind me almost knocked me down.  Later, Julie and I saw him arranging his books – he’d gotten 4 copies of each one.  Hopefully, this event will be better organized next year.

After a quick refresh in our room, Julie and I headed to John’s Pizza for dinner.  It’s one of our traditions and has always been a favorite but, this year, our pizza was overcooked and burnt along the crust.

After dinner, it was time to see Waitress with Sara Bareilles (who wrote all the music) and it was fantastic!  The tickets were a little pricey but they were well worth it!  The play made me laugh and cry.  We called it a day after that and, thankfully, our new neighbors were quiet.

1. June 8, 2017 6:49 am

Sounds like some interesting books coming down the pipe. I wonder why the organizers of the editors’ buzz panel don’t hand out tickets to pick up the books in an orderly manner. The chaos of book grabbing sounds unnerving.

2. Beth F permalink
    June 8, 2017 8:08 am

Great day!

3. Sarah's Book Shelves permalink
    June 8, 2017 8:08 am

Thanks for the update! I’m looking forward to My Absolute Darling, Stay with Me, and Unraveling Oliver!

4. June 8, 2017 8:19 am

Sounds like quite a day. That’s so awesome you got to see Waitress – how fun! That book chaos sounds crazy and should definitely be better organized. Shame on that man for almost knocking you over and for being so greedy with the books! Anyhow, still sounds like a great day – except for the overcooked pizza 😦

5. June 8, 2017 8:38 am

Before reading your post I haven’t heard of those books. Will definitely check them out when then come out… hopefully it will be better organized next year…i saw a photo of it and was shocked I would have been squished had I been there LOL love reading your recaps Kathy.

6. June 8, 2017 9:25 am

Hi:

I am enjoying your posts.

I am glad you got to go. When I talked to you before, you mentioned you were not going.

Thanks for sharing your adventures.

Elizabeth

On Thu, Jun 8, 2017 at 4:04 AM, Bermudaonion’s Weblog wrote:

> BermudaOnion posted: ” On our second day in New York, Julie (Booking Mama) > and I took the train downtown so we could have breakfast with Miriam > Parker, Associate Publisher at Ecco Books, at Augustine at the Beekman > Hotel. We had no trouble navigating the subway system but ” >

June 8, 2017 9:31 am

What a wonderful day. I still smile when I reflect back on it!

8. June 8, 2017 9:34 am

So jealous. And Waitress too!

9. June 8, 2017 10:25 am

Great post, and I enjoyed feeling like I was part of it…except, of course, for the chaos over the book scramble! LOL.

Thanks for sharing.

10. June 8, 2017 10:52 am

Sounds like a great day. I’m totally jealous of you getting to see Waitress with Sara Bareilles. I listened to her memoir a while back and she talked a bit about working on the musical.

June 8, 2017 12:33 pm

Delightful! You do everything right when you are in NYC and get so much in for such a short time! Except for the pizza and that so wasn’t your fault…

12. June 8, 2017 12:44 pm

I saw some of the Instagram posts about these books and added them to Goodreads then and there. I’ve since received a few of them. It seems as if a lot of bloggers didn’t go this year or maybe the coverage just isn’t there. Normally I have a wall of BEA posts but just a few this year.

13. June 8, 2017 2:16 pm

So many new good books! I really love your BEA posts! Glad you had a great time!

14. June 8, 2017 6:32 pm

Kathy, thanks for sharing your BEA/NY fun with us! (Now I am craving NY pizza, the best pizza, in my opinion.)

15. June 8, 2017 7:20 pm

It sounds like you had a wonderful time on day two as well. I can’t wait to hear more!

16. Lauren Becker permalink
    June 8, 2017 10:09 pm

Sorry the event was a bit rough at the end; it’s difficult sometimes to control people grabbing for ARCs, but I wish everyone would be more respectful. Sigh. Sorry about the pizza being a bit burnt: I’ve been there once and it was good then!

-Lauren

17. June 8, 2017 10:27 pm

I would not have known where to look at first! it sounds like a delightful day.

18. June 9, 2017 9:01 am

Thank goodness for quiet neighbors. I bet you need a rest. Sounds like the day started off great…WHERE THE PAST BEGINS by Amy Tan is on my wish list. I knew she was writing it and cannot wait to read it. Sara Bareilles is a wonderful singer and composer…I had no idea that she had a play on Broadway!

19. June 10, 2017 2:39 pm

Great post! Love the buzz on the books. Wow Amy Tan has written a memoir?! good to know thx

20. June 11, 2017 10:18 am

I met with the author of The World of Tomorrow and he talked to us about how he research his book. I can’t wait to read it. I can never understand people who rush like maniacs to grab books selfishly. It was the same at Book blogger Con two years ago. You’re right that it needs to be better organized.

21. June 12, 2017 12:59 am

So, so busy! I’d love to see Waitress so I’m glad to hear you loved it.