BookExpo/NY 2017 Day 1

June 6, 2017

I got up bright and early on May 30 to catch the 6:30AM flight to New York City.  My flight got there without a hitch but the cab ride to Midtown took a while because of construction in and around the airport.  After what seemed like forever, I arrived at the hotel, dropped my luggage off and walked toward the train station to meet my dear friend Julie of Booking Mama fame.   We dropped her luggage off before heading to the Meatpacking District.

We met the fabulous Adriana Trigiani at Santina for lunch.  The atmosphere was wonderful, the food was delicious, the service was terrific, but the company was the best part of the meal.  It’d been two years since we’d seen Adriana so we had a lot of catching up to do.  We talked about her upcoming book KISS CARLO and learned that she has another middle grade novel in the works!  She’s also revising the cookbook she wrote with her sisters.  We chatted and laughed for three hours and the time just flew by.

We went straight from lunch to dinner with Dawn from The Concord Bookshop and her lovely daughter, Jen Hart (Book Club Girl) from Harper Collins and her fabulous sister.  Dinner was at Becco, a restaurant we’ve been to several times before, and I’m sad to say we found the service to be subpar.  We were there for the company, though, and had a terrific time.  Jen brought us each a copy of THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW by A. J. Finn and, after hearing her talk about it, I’m anxious to read it.

After dinner, Julie and I snagged tickets to see Chicago on Broadway.  It’s the longest running American musical in Broadway history and, somehow, neither of us had seen the play or the movie and we both thought it was wonderful.

After the show, we headed back to our hotel.  It had been a long day for both of us and we were tired.  Unfortunately, the kids in the room next to us were not and we ended up having to call hotel security on them twice.  Thankfully, they checked out the next morning.

1. June 6, 2017 7:59 am

I look forward to reading more of your BEA adventures. I didn’t get to go this year

2. June 6, 2017 8:23 am

I would so love to go

June 6, 2017 8:32 am

Hard to believe it’s only been a week! I had such a wonderful time with you!

4. June 6, 2017 9:15 am

Sounds like your first day was awesome! Adriana is such a lovely person and I’m happy you got to spend time with her and Julie. That must have been a highlight for you. I caught the Broadway show Sunset Blvd with Glenn Close on Friday evening.

5. June 6, 2017 9:28 am

So cool. I love the idea of just having a meal with a nationally prominent author. And there’s nothing better than a Broadway musical.

6. June 6, 2017 9:49 am

How delightful! I can visualize you having your lunch and chatting with Adriana and other bloggers. The Broadway musical sounds wonderful, too.

Thanks for sharing! Great photo outside Santina.

7. June 6, 2017 10:39 am

What a wonderful start to your trip, Kathy! It sounds like so much fun. I am glad you enjoyed Chicago. I’ve seen both the movie and a stage production and enjoyed both. Thank you for sharing!

June 6, 2017 12:18 pm

What amazing fun! I am so glad you got there!

9. June 6, 2017 12:37 pm

What an amazing time you’ve had. I’ve been following others who went as well. Everyone has had a glorious time.

10. Beth F permalink
    June 6, 2017 1:00 pm

Can hardly believe that you had never seen Chicago!

11. June 6, 2017 4:54 pm

Kathy, it sounds like you’re having a wonderful time! Thanks for a great post.

12. June 6, 2017 9:50 pm

Sounds like a great first day. Chicago is one of my favorites and see it whenever it plays close.

13. Lauren Becker permalink
    June 6, 2017 10:04 pm

Ooh sorry about the kids in the hotel. Not cool. Glad you had an otherwise nice first day in NYC! I really want to see Chicago the musical – I LOVE the film.

-Lauren

14. June 7, 2017 9:10 am

What a fun first day you had, I can’t wait to read more from your time at BEA!

I’ve stayed in a hotel where there were rowdy teenagers in the next room. They yelled, honked horns, and even tried opening the door between our rooms. I called the desk but they kept it up all night. Won’t stay there again!

15. June 7, 2017 10:27 am

I love hearing about your adventures at BEA. Sorry about the obnoxious kids in the next room and the subpar service at Becco! Chicago the film is wonderful. I’d love to see it on Broadway.

I’m keeping my eye out for Adriana’s cookbook!

16. June 7, 2017 12:37 pm

Sounds like you had a great time! And what great company you had, from both book bloggers and authors..nice!

17. June 8, 2017 7:18 pm

Day one sounds absolutely exhausting but terribly fun! I think NY City makes us all feel as if we can do it all in a short amount of time!

18. The Cue Card permalink
    June 10, 2017 2:50 pm

Wow how did you manage to get lunch with Adriana, that’s awesome! Great adventures at BEA & NYC! thx

19. June 12, 2017 12:38 am

You get invited to so many parties! Fun, fun, fun 🙂