March 1, 2017

SWEETGIRL by Travis Mulhauser had a couple new to me words.

1. perspicuity – “He closed his eyes and when he fired the load it was not an instrument of justice or redemption, was not an act of self-hatred or of martyrdom, but was only the truth expelled through a smooth-bore barrel, all buckshot and perspicuity.”

Perspicuity means clearness or lucidity.

_____________________________________________________

2. corn snow – “There were a few cars scattered in the parking lot and the wind blew and tossed around some corn snow while Starr dug the smokes out of her bag.”

I’ve never lived anywhere that gets much snow so I’m not surprised I didn’t know this term.  Corn snow is snow with a rough granular surface resulting from alternate thawing and freezing.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. March 1, 2017 4:54 am

Those are 2 interesting words there. I will surely use the first word going forward just to perplex my friends, “we need world leaders with more perspicuity”

2. March 1, 2017 5:50 am

I like that first word

3. March 1, 2017 9:38 am

I knew the 1st one because my father taught it to me when I was just a kid. He never talked down to us.
    I guess the 2nd one does not have anything to do with bodily functions. My bad!

4. March 1, 2017 10:23 am

Corn snow — I love it! Never heard of it but might use it now that I’m in the thick of winter!

5. March 1, 2017 11:18 am

I grew up in the northern Ohio snow belt, so I knew corn snow, but the other word is new to me!

6. March 1, 2017 11:46 am

I’ve never heard of corn snow and I live in an area with tons of snow. We’re in the midst of the thaw freeze cycle now so I’ll be sure to watch for opportunities to use that word. It’s a lot easier to say than perspicuity but both are great words!

7. March 1, 2017 12:55 pm

I didn’t know either word, and am surprised I’ve never heard of corn snow since I grew up in Ohio where it alternates between thawing and freezing often.

8. March 1, 2017 2:15 pm

I grew up in Wisconsin, but didn’t know corn snow. I didn’t know the first word either, but I like the sentence and how it was used. Good finds, Kathy.

9. March 1, 2017 2:23 pm

I never heard of corn snow.

10. March 1, 2017 7:42 pm

I have heard of corn snow before but did not know the definition, until now.

March 8, 2017 7:56 am

I’ve never heard of corn snow but I do know what it is!