February 1, 2017

I found several words in HIDDEN FIGURES by Margot Lee Shetterly.

1. hoosegow – “He spent the night in the city hoosegow for his trouble.”

Hoosegow means jail.

_____________________________________________________

2. synecdoche – “Against ignorance, she and others like her mounted a day-in, day-out charm offensive: impeccably dressed, well-spoken, patriotic, and upright, they were racial synecdoches, keenly aware that the interactions that individual blacks had with whites could have implications for the entire black community.”

Synecdoche means a figure of speech by which a part is put for the whole, the whole for a part, the species for the genus, the genus for the species, or the name of the material for the thing made.

_____________________________________________________

3. azimuth – “A number transposed in calculating the launch azimuth, a significant digit too few in measuring the fully loaded weight of the capsule, a mistake in accounting for the rocket’s speed and acceleration or the rotation of the Earth could cascade through the chain of dependencies, causing serious, perhaps catastrophic, consequences.”

Azimuth sounds pretty complicated to me.  It means the horizontal angle or direction of a compass bearing.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. February 1, 2017 3:09 am

Hoosegow is a great word! All three words are new to me, Kathy! 🙂

2. February 1, 2017 9:06 am

Hoosegow sounds so funny as a word, I would never have thought it means jail. I should throw it at my kids one day and see if they have a clue as to what it is.

3. February 1, 2017 9:12 am

I’m reading Hidden Figures right now – I’ll keep an eye out for these words!

4. February 1, 2017 9:32 am

Thanks for “hoosegow!” No clue on “synecdoche.” I didn’t have “azimuth” either. But I at least was in the same ballpark.

5. February 1, 2017 9:43 am

When we first moved to Tucson we heard people use the word hoosegow & they thought we were weird for never having heard it!

6. February 1, 2017 9:51 am

What great words, certainly makes Hidden Figures seem a bit more technical like your review states. Hoosegow is great though hah.

7. February 1, 2017 11:24 am

Great words! Hoosegow sounds like a fun one to start using right away! Are you going to see the movie now that you’ve read the book? I can’t wait to see what you think of it.

8. Beth Hoffman permalink
    February 1, 2017 11:41 am

Funny looking and sounding words, of which I knew none!

February 1, 2017 12:19 pm

You always find the bestest words…I can’t even pronounce these!

10. February 1, 2017 1:53 pm

I saw the movie,it was great. I only knew hoosegow.

11. February 1, 2017 2:55 pm

I know hoosegow because my husband loves his Westerns. The other two are way over my head.

February 6, 2017 8:03 am

The only one I could really figure out was hoosegow. I thought there were quite a few big words in that book!

13. February 6, 2017 4:55 pm

I just picked up the audio of Hidden Figures from the library! Wanted to read it before seeing the movie. Good to know that there will be several vocab words to look up- thanks for doing some of the heavy lifting! All new words to me.