December 28, 2016

There hasn’t been a lot of reading going on around here so I’m thankful for my Word-a-Day calendar.

1. inspissate – “There was sauce on everything, all inspissated with butter, flour, crème fraîche.” — Jonathan Reynolds, THE NEW YORK TIMES MAGAZINE, August 2000

Inspissate is a verb that means to make thick or thicker.

_____________________________________________________

2. legerity – “With legerity, the prefect noted that the suspect inadvertently referred to an aspect of the crime that had never been made public.”

Legerity means alert, facile quickness of mind or body.

_____________________________________________________

3. ecotone – “Cowbirds lay their eggs in the nests of other birds — in particular, those located in the ecotones along the edges of a mature forest.”

An ecotone is a transition area between tow adjacent ecological communities.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. December 28, 2016 8:35 am

Interesting words. The first one seems almost clumsy to say.

2. December 28, 2016 9:44 am

Kathy, I want to thank you for showing me each week HOW LIMITED MY VOCABULARY IS! I always think I’ve got a pretty good one…until I check your Wednesday words. I have to say, though, that I would rather see words I don’t know than to have easy ones. Otherwise, how will I learn anything? (But can’t you throw in a gimme once in a while?)

3. December 28, 2016 10:20 am

0 for me … LOL

4. December 28, 2016 10:56 am

I agree about the first word. Very hard to say! :–)

5. December 28, 2016 1:25 pm

Hi Kathy,

Not only is that first word clumsy, but it doesn’t even sound very nice and distinctly lowers the tone of the recipe.

Both or the other words I have come across before, although I couldn’t have offered an explicit definition for them, so thanks for sharing.

Great meme, I always look forward to being baffled by so many new words 🙂

Yvonne

6. December 28, 2016 2:31 pm

Struck out on all three.

7. December 28, 2016 6:02 pm

Kathy, I like how Yvonne says it “Great meme, I always look forward to being baffled by so many new words”. 🙂

8. December 29, 2016 12:03 pm

Never heard those

January 3, 2017 7:40 am

Those are all new to me and I’m not even sure I could use them in sentences. LOL!