At the Movies: The Girl on the Train

November 22, 2016
tags:

the-girl-on-the-train-movie-poster

Rachel passes the same houses day in and day out as she rides the train.  She watches the activity at one house in particular and, when she notices something suspicious, reports it.  Because of her background, though, her statement is doubted.  She decides to do some investigating of her own and puts her life in danger.

THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN by Paula Hawkins was a huge hit last year and a highly anticipated movie version of it was made pretty quickly.  I’d heard some pretty mediocre things about the movie but decided to see it anyway.  It’s been almost two years since I read the book but, from what I remember, The Girl on the Train was pretty faithful to it.  I liked the movie but can’t say that I loved it.  After watching it, though, I wondered if those who haven’t read the book would understand some of the intricacies of the plot because I found it a little confusing at times.  I thought the acting was fine but not particularly stellar.  This is a movie I’d recommend watching at home after you’ve read the book.

1. Diane permalink
    November 22, 2016 6:03 am

My husband was lost at first and, I was happy to have read the book beforehand. I didn’t love the movie but, was glad I saw it.

We also saw; The Accountant (so disappointing for me) and The Inferno (pretty good).

2. November 22, 2016 6:35 am

I had the same thoughts as I sat in the theater watching the movie. If I hadn’t read the book, I know I would’ve been confused, especially at the beginning of the movie. It was a decent movie, but not one I’d ever watch again. I’m eager to see Allied (Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard) after seeing the trailer several times this month. It looks very good!

3. November 22, 2016 7:38 am

I didn’t read the book but saw the movie with my sisters who had read it. They said it was pretty close to the book. I thought it was ok but was fairly impressed with the actor who played Rachel. I felt a bit hungover by the end, ha.

November 22, 2016 8:08 am

I actually saw this one! I agree that I was glad I had read the book. I wasn’t sure that it would be easy to follow. It was just okay to me. I’m glad I saw it but wouldn’t rave about it!

5. November 22, 2016 8:32 am

I agree…reading the book helped. I did enjoy it, though, Kathy, and even saw it a second time with my granddaughter. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

6. November 22, 2016 8:47 am

I read the book and thought it was okay, so when I saw the movie trailer I wasn’t too excited.

7. November 22, 2016 9:39 am

I think your assessment of the movie is right on. I gave both the book and movie – independently – a 2.5/4.

8. November 22, 2016 9:52 am

I thought the same thing about non-readers. Would they get the connection between the characters? I did like the movie in regards to the characters chosen, especially Rachel. Great review!
    Rebecca @ The Portsmouth Review
    Follow me on Bloglovin’

9. November 22, 2016 10:48 am

I should be reading this – it is up for my book club discussion in a week! I hope it is a fast read.

10. November 22, 2016 11:21 am

I was curious about this movie, but I’ll make sure to read the book first!

11. November 22, 2016 12:31 pm

I haven’t read the book and didn’t think I would, but the more I see about it the more I want to see what she saw that was so shocking. I’ll wait to see the movie after I read the book.

12. November 22, 2016 12:41 pm

This is a book in the end I decided not to read and probably won’t watch the movie either. Something about it sounds like the author is manipulating the reader which is a style I do not enjoy. Thanks for including the trailer I hadn’t seen it.

13. November 22, 2016 3:39 pm

DVD it is then

14. November 22, 2016 6:18 pm

Thanks for your honest review. I have not read the book. I am not sure if I will see the movie or not (I really want to see Southside with You).

November 22, 2016 6:27 pm

I totally agree!

16. November 22, 2016 8:07 pm

Hmm, now I’m wondering if I need to reread the book before I see the movie!

17. Literary Feline permalink
    November 22, 2016 8:41 pm

I saw this one in the theater and really enjoyed it–more than you, I think. It’d been awhile since I read the the book so the details weren’t strong in my mind. I find that works best for me rather than rushing out to see the movie right after reading a book. Otherwise I do too much comparing and it colors my impressions of the movie.

18. November 23, 2016 12:07 am

Interesting review! I’ve been wanting to see the movie since I read the book and somewhat enjoyed it. I’m curious to see how the plot will be adapted to the screen.

19. Sara McIntyre permalink
    November 23, 2016 12:17 pm

I intend on writing a review on this film of my own, however, I am very conflicted. The movie left me feeling nauseous inside because of the content so I couldn’t enjoy the film in that sense. But, aside from that they did seem to stay very true to the book and for that i commend the filmmaker. As far as domestic dramas go, I can’t say I was at all impressed. Gone Girl was much better executed in my opinion. Anyways i apologise for my little rant, sometimes I can’t help it! Anyways in the odd chance that you would be interested in some great film reviews of mine, I would really appreciate it if you took a few minutes to check out my new blog. It’s very new but I have plenty of great films lined up to review. Thanks again for your input on the Girl on the Train. https://reelviewsbysara.wordpress.com

20. November 23, 2016 1:36 pm

I haven’t read the book but I do like the trailer for the movie. We’re talking about seeing it the weekend. I’ll remember what you said.

21. November 23, 2016 5:28 pm

I thought the movie was good but not great. Definitely, for me, the best part was Emily Blunt’s acting.

22. November 27, 2016 4:04 pm

When I read this book, I wondered how on earth they could make it into a movie given her alcohol intake.

23. The Cue Card permalink
    November 28, 2016 5:18 pm

I thought the movie followed the book pretty closely except for the change of cities. I found it a decent chick thriller and was glad I saw it.

24. November 29, 2016 6:21 pm

Glad to know this one is for home viewing, especially since I’ve read the book but don’t particularly want to recommend it and can’t think of anyone to go out to the theater to see this with!

25. December 4, 2016 10:17 pm

I wondered how this one would be – they certainly made the movie really quick