SIBA 2016: The Books

October 6, 2016
tags: ,

siba_logo_158

I was lucky enough to attend the Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance (SIBA) Trade Show in Savannah this year.  It was a wonderful event and an awesome time to learn about upcoming releases.  At times, my head was swimming with all the information I gathered.  These are some of the books I’m particularly excited about.

Adult books

siba-adult-books

• INHERITING EDITH by Zoe Fishman (William Morrow | Oct. 18, 2016)  is the story of single mother Maggie Sheets.  Maggie cleans houses for a living and one of her clients leaves her a beautiful home, but the client’s 82 year old mother, who suffers from Alzheimer’s comes with the deal.
  • ELEANOR OLIPHANT IS COMPLETELY FINE by Gail Honeyman (Penguin Random House | May 9, 2017)  When socially awkward Eleanor and her co-worker Raymond save an older man who has fallen, their lives change forever.  I had to have a copy of this when I saw it was  Pamela Dorman book.
  • I’LL TAKE YOU THERE by Wally Lamb (Harper | Nov. 22, 2016)  It’s Wally Lamb, need I say more?  Seriously, this is the story of Felix Funicello who is visited by Lois, the ghost of a Hollywood director from the silent picture era.  Through Lois, Felix revisits some scenes from his childhood and reconnects with the women who are the most important in his life.  (Felix is the character from an older Lamb book, WISHIN’ AND HOPIN’.)
  • NO ONE IS COMING TO SAVE US by Stephanie Powell Watts (Ecco | April 4, 2017)  I couldn’t resist this book that is described as “The Great Gatsby brilliantly recast in the contemporary south: a powerful first novel about an extended African-American family and their colliding visions of the American dream.”
  • EVERYTHING YOU WANT ME TO BE by Mindy Mejia (Atria | Jan. 3, 2017) is the story of a young woman who tries to please everyone.  When she’s murdered and her life is reconstructed, the town’s darkest secrets are revealed.
  • THE GUINEVERES by Sarah Domet (Flatiron Books | Oct. 4, 2016) is the story of four girls, all named Guinevere) who are left in a convent home by their families.

Children’s books

siba-kids-books

• YOU’RE BACON ME CRAZY by Suzanne Nelson (Scholastic | March 28, 2017) I’ll be honest here and tell you that I was initially interested in this book because of its title but the plot sold me.  It’s the story of Tessa, who works in her aunt’s food truck.  When dreamy Asher starts working there and doesn’t pull his weight, the troubles begin.
  • A BOY CALLED BAT by Elana K. Arnold (Walden Pond Press | March 14, 2017) Autistic Bat’s veterinarian mom brings home a baby skunk for him to care for until she can take it to a wild animal shelter.  Bat knows he and the skunk belong together and must figure out a way to convince his mom to let him keep it.
  • SHORT by Holly Goldberg Sloan (Dial Books for Young Readers | Jan. 31, 2017) is the story of Julia, a short girl who’s cast as a Munchkin in The Wizard of Oz and befriends an adult with dwarfism.
  • GERTIE’S LEAP TO GREATNESS by Kate Beasley (Farrar Straus Giroux | Oct. 4, 2016) Gertie is confused by her mother’s plan to leave her father and great aunt but Gertie has a plan to rectify things.

I’d like to thank SIBA for allowing me to attend their trade show this year.  I had an awesome time!

1. October 6, 2016 6:44 am

I’m curious about Inheriting Edith. Sounds like it has possibility! Eleanor Oliphan sounds a little bit like The Rosie Project (which I loved), perhaps because of the social awkwardness. I’ll keep an eye out for that one, too. It’s been years (decades!) since I’ve read anything by Wally Lamb. I need to catch up on his more recent novels! Congrats on all these great-looking books!

2. Sarah's Book Shelves permalink
    October 6, 2016 7:26 am

I’m seeing The Guineveres everywhere these days!

3. October 6, 2016 7:36 am

They all look wonderful. Inheriting Edith caught my eye.

October 6, 2016 8:02 am

It was so much fun and the book selection was amazing! How did I miss Eleanor Oliphant is Complete Fine?????

5. October 6, 2016 8:22 am

Great finds! No One Is Coming to Save Us and You’re Bacon Me Crazy caught my eye. Looking forward to your thoughts.

6. October 6, 2016 8:43 am

THE GUINEVERES seems to be the book making the rounds at the moment. lol Hope you enjoy it!

7. October 6, 2016 9:32 am

The only Wally Lamb I have read is She’s Come Undone. And I remember liking it a lot. I even saw him at an author event and bought the book he was promoting at the time (don’t remember which one it was). But I never read it or any others. Don’t know why.

8. October 6, 2016 9:44 am

Oh, these look very tempting! I am eager to get my hands on Inheriting Edith, and No One Is Coming to Save Us. Thanks for sharing! Enjoy….

9. October 6, 2016 9:55 am

Such good books! The Guineveres and No One Is Coming To Save Us sound so good! I am going to look them up and TBR them.

10. October 6, 2016 10:29 am

So many great books! I can’t wait to read The Guineveres and the new Wally Lamb book 🙂 Enjoy your new reads!!

11. October 6, 2016 10:29 am

NO ONE IS COMING TO SAVE US intrigues me.

12. October 6, 2016 12:55 pm

You’re Bacon Me Crazy! Love that title! I have the Fishman book.

October 6, 2016 4:48 pm

I have been begging people for The Guineveres but you have quite a few more that look great!

14. October 6, 2016 11:02 pm

Wow, what a great selection you have. I’d have a hard time picking which one to read first.

15. October 7, 2016 6:55 am

SIBA 2016 sounds like a wonderful event. Enjoy your new books. I’ll look forward to your reviews.

16. October 7, 2016 9:43 am

Wally Lamb has a new book?! That just made my day 🙂

17. October 7, 2016 10:39 am

I look forward to your thoughts on these; YOU’RE BACON ME CRAZY by Suzanne Nelson caught my eye out of these finds.

18. Diane permalink
    October 9, 2016 9:03 pm

I cracked up with your title “You’re Bacon Me Crazy” too funny. enjoy all Kathy

19. October 10, 2016 1:27 am

Sounds like such an awesome experience! Everything You Want Me to Be and Short caught my eye. Hope you love all of them 🙂

20. Diane permalink
    October 11, 2016 8:29 pm

I love Wally Lamb and hope someone sends me this one as well; enjoy all Kathy

21. October 26, 2016 9:43 am

Sorry I’m so behind. How wonderful! I always here such wonderful things about this show and the books look great,