July 13, 2016

I found several words in an uncorrected proof of Unearthed by Alexandra Risen.

1. moraine – “Does he really think a layer of fresh bark can compete with age-old glacial moraine?”

Moraine means a ridge, mound, or irregular mass of unstratified glacial drift, chieflyboulders, gravel, sand, and clay

_____________________________________________________

2. chornozem – “He is one of many authors whom I explore, each more controversial than the next, but the word bloodlands penetrates my consciousness, maybe because I’ve read so much about the rare and fertile chornozem soil.”

Chornozem is a very black topsoil, rich in humus, typical of cool to temperate semiarid regions such as the grasslands of Ukraine and southern Russia.

_____________________________________________________

3. geomancer – “He’s a geomancer.”

Geomancy is the art of placing or arranging buildings or other sites auspiciously .

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. July 13, 2016 8:09 am

When I first moved to Wisconsin, everything was all about “kettles” and “moraines.” I still wouldn’t know one if I saw one of course!

July 13, 2016 8:16 am

Wow — I had to laugh at those words. All new to me and I can’t really see a reason to every use them!

3. July 13, 2016 8:59 am

So thrilled to see these highlighted. Geomancer was new to me, too! Doesn’t come up too often…PS. LOVE reading about unusual words. Thank you for a great meme! a.

4. July 13, 2016 9:42 am

Same ballpark for moraine, but wrong. No clue for #2. Thought I knew #3, but that would be a resounding “NO.”

5. July 13, 2016 12:22 pm

I also knew moraine, but the other two are new. I like geomancer. I know someone like that.

6. July 13, 2016 1:12 pm

Hi Kathy,

I am so disappointed that I knew none of your words today, however looking on the bright side, I have learned some interesting new definitions and broadened my vocabulary, although I’m not too sure when I will get the opportunity to show off my new found words in everyday conversation 🙂

This probably isn’t a book for me, but it sounds as though you enjoyed your journey of discovery. Thanks for sharing and hosting.

Yvonne

7. Beth Hoffman permalink
    July 13, 2016 1:18 pm

I knew not a one!

8. July 13, 2016 2:04 pm

I have to get me some chornozem for my garden! 😉

9. July 13, 2016 2:17 pm

Learned new words today.

10. July 13, 2016 3:08 pm

I didn’t have a clue about any of them. That’s ok though because I love learning new words.

11. July 13, 2016 4:05 pm

All new to me

12. July 13, 2016 5:38 pm

I knew moraine had something to do with geology, but couldn’t have said exactly what.

July 13, 2016 6:00 pm

Every word is new to me except geomancer but that is from reading fantasy books…

14. July 13, 2016 7:43 pm

All new to me, Kathy! Very good choices–I will add them to my vocab list.

15. nctyler permalink
    July 13, 2016 9:32 pm

I encountered a new word today: “Kigo”. It’s a Japanese word, so I don’t know if it qualifies.A kigo is a word in a haiku that lets the reader know what season of the year in which the haiku is set.

Chornozem is new to me.