At the Movies: Room

June 7, 2016
tags: ,

Room movie

I read Room by Emma Donoghue shortly after it came out in 2010 and I thought it was terrific, even though the content was disturbing.  I wasn’t sure the book would translate well to the big screen so I hesitated to see the movie.  I kept hearing good things about it, though, so Vance and I decided to watch it one evening.

For those who don’t know, Room is the story of a young girl who was abducted and had a baby while she was held captive.  She does everything she can to make a normal life for her young child but it’s not easy in the confines of the shed they’re locked in.

Since it had been a while since I read the book, I remembered the basic story but not many of the details so I’m not sure how closely the movie stayed true to the book but it didn’t really matter.  The movie is tense and gut-wrenching and the acting is pretty darn good.  (Brie Larson won the Oscar for Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role.)  I got caught up in the movie and was nervous, even though I knew how things would end.  I was sure I wouldn’t cry, but I did.

Room is definitely worth seeing, especially now that you can watch it in the comfort of your own home.

1. June 7, 2016 5:08 am

I can totally relate. I was nervous at the end of The Martian even though I had read the book and knew how it would come out. I guess that’s the mark of a good movie!

2. June 7, 2016 5:56 am

I found it very difficult even reading the book, I doubt I will be able to sit through the movie.

3. Jeane permalink
    June 7, 2016 8:33 am

I haven’t read it yet, but I definitely want to see the film! The trailer makes it look like a lot of the story’s focus is on when they get out- whereas reviews I saw of the book made it seem that most of the story was about the confinement. Did they change the focus? or is it really so

4. June 7, 2016 8:37 am

I wasn’t sure if this was my kind of book but it definitely is my type of movie. I need to decide if I want to read it first.

5. Beth F permalink
    June 7, 2016 8:43 am

Thanks for this review — I just wasn’t sure how the movie would be, but I wanted Mr. BFR to know the story. I’ll put this on my list.

6. June 7, 2016 9:17 am

I liked, but didn’t love, the movie. I gave it a 3/4. I never read the book.

7. June 7, 2016 9:48 am

I have to watch it, the book was so good

8. June 7, 2016 9:51 am

I read the book, but didn’t really care for it. I’ll watch the film, since it seems like we’ll get Ma’s voice more so than Jacob’s – which is what I didn’t like about the book. I’m glad you included the trailer – definitely made me tear up and want to watch the film.

June 7, 2016 9:56 am

I have not been able to bring myself to see this or read it…yet.

10. June 7, 2016 11:40 am

I’ve had the book for years but have never read it. Once I get moved and settled, I think I’ll read it and then see the movie.

11. June 7, 2016 12:10 pm

I LOVED the movie, even though I was worried that I might not. I have the book, but haven’t yet read it. Wondering if I will enjoy it as much as the movie. Thanks for sharing.

12. June 7, 2016 3:05 pm

I’m honestly having mixed thoughts about watching this one. On the one hand, I do want to watch it – it has good reviews. On the other, I know it’s going to be just hard to watch.

13. June 7, 2016 4:10 pm

I think this was the first audiobook I ever listened to. I liked it, which surprised me but I’ve been reluctant to see the film. I might though. Thanks for sharing your experience.

14. June 7, 2016 4:17 pm

I was one of the few who did not care for the book. I have trouble believing the story, mainly the big escape but my biggest issue was not believing the child’s voice. He didn’t come across as a child to me and his language and dialogue seemed unrealistic. That said, I kind of steered clear of the movie for that reason.

15. June 7, 2016 6:50 pm

This was such great book on audio, too… not anything like my typical fare. Was wondering if the movie might be too disturbing, but I think I’ll give it a try.

16. June 8, 2016 1:21 am

I would definitely like to see Room! I did not read the entire book because I lent it out to someone before I was done, but it is incredibly written. Thanks for presenting your review and trailer, Kathy.

17. June 8, 2016 1:20 pm

I haven’t read the book or seen the movie. I’d like to do both.

18. June 8, 2016 3:59 pm

I loved the book but haven’t seen the movie yet.

19. June 8, 2016 6:04 pm

I am not sure I want to see the movie, but I did like the book.

20. June 11, 2016 5:36 pm

I enjoyed the book, and loved the movie, but I also spent close to 2 hours in the theatre with tears running silently down my cheeks. So gut-wrenching. The major difference for me was where the book was all about “will they get rescued?” and the movie focused on “after the rescue”. I noticed the difference when the trailer depicted them getting out. I think it was a smart choice as the suspense about getting out and internal struggle in the novel wouldn’t sustain an entire movie adaptation.

21. June 13, 2016 8:14 am

I’ve been wondering whether the movie would be worth watching, although I haven’t read the book.Too gut-wrenching for me. But I’m glad to hear that you liked the movie.

June 13, 2016 2:33 pm

I really want to see this one. I adored the book and I hear the performances are outstanding!