May 4, 2016

I found one last word in A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith.

1. calyx – “The stem, calyx, rose and leaves were now one and seemed to have grown so.”

flowerparts

The calyx is the sepals of a flower that encloses the petals and forms a protective layer around a flower in bud.  A sepal functions as protection for the flower in bud, and often as support for the petals when in bloom.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

May 4, 2016 8:35 am

I faintly remember learning that word in elementary school science!

2. May 4, 2016 9:26 am

Sounded familiar – especially when I saw the definition!

May 4, 2016 9:31 am

I remember this from teaching my second graders!

4. Judy B permalink
    May 4, 2016 11:43 am

I hope my comment doesn’t post twice. I can’t remember where I learned this, but thanks for the reminder so I could define it more accurately. My sister is a fantastic gardener, she uses this word often.

5. May 4, 2016 12:51 pm

Although I know the word, it’s not really in my vocabulary. I sure hope you enjoyed A Tree Grows In Brooklyn.

6. May 4, 2016 1:08 pm

I remember having to memorize all the parts in school, but of course quickly forgot them!

7. May 4, 2016 1:35 pm

I’m very glad you included a visual aid. Thanks for the tip!

8. May 4, 2016 2:18 pm

Hi Kelly,

I just knew that all my swatting for those biology exams would come in useful one day – it has only taken 40 years !!

Even the text book, labelled image made it seem like it was only yesterday 🙂

I really like the sound of this book, a real piece of world literary fiction to help me expand my horizons.

Thanks for sharing and hosting this great meme 🙂

Yvonne

9. May 4, 2016 3:22 pm

Thanks! for including the example.

10. May 4, 2016 4:09 pm

Aha

11. May 4, 2016 10:16 pm

Excellent word! I need to reread Betty Smith’s classic book.

12. May 5, 2016 12:10 am

I’m digging this meme! It’s my first time participating. Calyx sounded familiar, but I would’ve never remembered what it was. A Tree Grows is Brooklyn is on my TBR. It’ll put a smile on my face when I come across this word when I read the novel.