April 20, 2016

I’m currently reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith for my next book club meeting and have found a few words.

1. sen-sen – “Hildy had brassy blond hair, wore a garnet-colored chiffon bow around her neck, chewed sen-sen, knew all the latest songs and was a good dancer.”

Sen-sen

Sen-Sen was a breath freshener advertised as breath perfume in the late 1800s.  It was made with licorice, gum arabic, maltodextrin, sugar, and natural and artificial flavors until 2013.  I wonder why I’ve never heard of them.

_____________________________________________________

2. katies – “The boys wore straw katies with a cord attached to the brim and the other end to their coat lapel.”

A katie is a type of men’s formal summer hat, generally referred to as a boater.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. April 20, 2016 6:12 am

I remember sen-sen. Maybe you don’t because you never needed them! :–)

2. extraordinaryordinarywhimsy permalink
    April 20, 2016 7:39 am

OK is it weird that I kinda want to try it?

3. extraordinaryordinarywhimsy permalink
    April 20, 2016 7:40 am

I’ve never heard of them either. I wonder where it was sold? I wonder if someone on eBay has old packets for sale?

4. April 20, 2016 8:07 am

Yes, you can find sen-sen on eBay, although why you would want to . . . I think if fell out of favour because people don’t generally want to smell of black licorice 😉

I’ve read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn but I don’t remember having ever heard straw boaters referred to as “katies”. Sometimes you don’t have to learn something new every day;sometimes you can learn something you knew but have forgotten. lol

My words this week are colours.

5. April 20, 2016 9:37 am

I also remember sen-sen. I even remembered what it was! And I have certainly heard of a boater. But not a katie.

April 20, 2016 10:07 am

I have actually tasted these…maybe in London? But they actually are kind of interesting. I have not thought about them in a long time!

7. April 20, 2016 10:24 am

My grandpa always had sen-sen in his pocket!

8. April 20, 2016 1:03 pm

I loved sen-sen as a kid. They came in these very small, flat paper squares that fit just right in a small pocket. As you’ve shown in your picture, the sen-sen themselves were also very small and flat. They were crystal-like pieces of yummy licorice. Just barely a taste. They were secret candy for us kids. It was something we had when we weren’t supposed to, like in church.

9. April 20, 2016 2:57 pm

I didn’t know either word, but my husband wore a katie a lot.

10. April 20, 2016 3:18 pm

Hi Kathy,

Here in the UK your hat would definitely be known as a straw boater and it’s an interesting question as to why, if this is a man’s hat, that it would ever have been called a ‘Katie’.

I don’t know of sen-sen here in the UK, although as a child I can remember being very fond of Liquorice Imps, which sound very similar. I hadn’t thought about them in a while, however I have discovered that they are still made here and are available to buy, only under their current name of ‘Nipits’ – Sorry! this may sound nostalgic, but I still prefer ‘Liquorice Imps’

Thanks for the trip down memory lane and I hope that the book makes for a great discussion at your book club meeting 🙂

Yvonne

11. April 20, 2016 3:24 pm

I definitely know sen-sens, haven’t had them in a long time.

12. April 20, 2016 3:35 pm

I don’t think I’ve had sen-sens. Wonder why they went off the market in 2013.

13. April 20, 2016 3:46 pm

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn – one of my favorites. I remember reading it as a young girl. What a powerful impact it had on me.

14. April 20, 2016 3:54 pm

Huh

15. April 20, 2016 6:55 pm

Here is another reason to read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn again–for the vocabulary words. Both of these words were new to me!

April 24, 2016 6:52 pm

I remember looking up sen sen when I read that book!