At the movies: Spotlight

April 7, 2016

Spotlight

Spotlight is based on the 2003 Pulitzer Prize winning story by the “Spotlight” team at the Boston Globe.  This team of investigative reporters uncovered a widespread sex abuse scandal involving Catholic priests in the local Archdiocese.

I’m generally not good at sitting still long enough to watch a movie at home but somehow missed Spotlight when it was at the theater.  I was anxious to see it, though, since it won the Oscar for the Best Motion Picture of the Year for 2015 and Vance agreed to watch it with me.

This movie features a star studded cast and kept me involved the whole time but I’m not sure it was the best picture of the year.  It is disturbing and thought provoking and could lead to a great discussion.  Vance didn’t like the movie as much as I did – he thought it would have been better with lesser known actors – but, like me, he thinks it’s worth seeing.  I’d love to see a documentary on this story because I’m not sure how much of the movie was fact.  This movie’s out on DVD now and it’s well worth watching at home.

1. April 7, 2016 8:43 am

I missed it at the theater, too, and didn’t realize it was out on DVD already. Will add it to my Netflix queue.

2. Beth F permalink
    April 7, 2016 8:46 am

I’ve been curious about this movie, so I’m glad to hear it’s worth watching. I’ll have to see if it’s available through one of my streaming options.

3. April 7, 2016 9:53 am

I have to say that I definitely thought it deserved Best Picture. My favorite movie of the year was Steve Jobs. But it wasn’t up for the Oscar. Without that one in the mix, then Spotlight was #1 for me. And I was VERY glad that The Revenant didn’t win. I didn’t really get that one at all.
    P.S. Recently saw Eye in the Sky. It was totally mesmerizing, like Spotlight and Steve Jobs.

4. April 7, 2016 10:11 am

I missed it in the theater, but definitely want to watch is sometime soon. Like you, I do wonder if a documentary would be better since it would offer the factual events and info of what happened. And I agree with your son about using lesser known actors – sometimes the movie star overshadows the film, which I can see being the case with Keaton and Ruffalo.

5. April 7, 2016 12:53 pm

I did watch it at home, which I love, as you can pause, get up and stretch, grab a snack, etc. But I found myself glued to the screen throughout. I did love it, and so seldom do movies I enjoy win awards (funny, that), so I was pleased. Thanks for sharing.

6. April 7, 2016 1:19 pm

We keep meaning to see this!

7. April 7, 2016 1:35 pm

I don’t even remember seeing this advertised where I live. Not sure I’d want to watch it or not, but glad you and Vance enjoyed it.

8. Literary Feline permalink
    April 7, 2016 2:30 pm

I haven’t seen this one and am in no rush to. I do think it would be interesting as a documentary. I’d want to see that.

9. April 7, 2016 4:05 pm

Hmmm, maybe

10. April 7, 2016 5:59 pm

Thanks for your succinct and honest review!

11. April 7, 2016 6:02 pm

We watched this last weekend and we both thought it was outstanding! Of course, it made me very angry with the way the Catholic church has handled these situations and I’m now curious about the book, Betrayal: The Crisis in the Catholic Church.

12. April 7, 2016 9:10 pm

Great review! Thanks for putting this movie on my to-watch list.

April 8, 2016 10:33 am

We have been meaning to watch this…

14. April 8, 2016 11:15 am

This is one of the movies I do want to see

15. April 8, 2016 12:04 pm

I need to watch this one too. Glad that it is out on DVD now because theater going probably won’t happen to me anytime soon.

16. Diane permalink
    April 8, 2016 3:11 pm

We loved this one. Glad u saw it.

17. April 9, 2016 2:36 am

I watched this on the cinema around a month ago and I was blown away! I personally have always loved these kinds of movies, and I enjoy watching/reading about journalism and things like that. Not to mention the plot itself and the thought provoking theme! The actors played a good part in making it a good movie, but I didn’t really care about their popularity 😊

18. April 9, 2016 10:43 pm

I have really wanted to watch this, but I am really bad at watching movies… One day soon!

19. April 10, 2016 9:06 am

I really want to see this movie because it has journalists doing important work, but I also don’t because ugh, what an upsetting story to be working on. So, I’m torn.

20. April 13, 2016 10:15 am

I missed this one at the theater too, but do want to see it.

21. The Cue Card permalink
    April 13, 2016 4:50 pm

Yeah I thought it was an important, good film and it’s rare that a journalism film wins Best Picture — I was glad for that. I feared the Revenant would win so I was really pleased when Spotlight came through.

22. April 14, 2016 10:43 pm

I thought this was very good, but it was quiet good, so I was surprised it won the Oscar. Based on the story and the outstanding acting I was okay with the win. I think I liked The Big Short better than this, but considering the topic I thought this one really made an impact. There needs to be more reporting like this!

April 24, 2016 7:00 pm

This is one movie that I’ve mentioned to Matt a few times but he has no interest. I guess I’ll have to watch it on my own.