At the movies: Carol

February 18, 2016

Carol

Therese works at a department store but hopes to be a photographer one day.  Carol, a customer leaves her gloves at the store Therese works in and when Therese returns them to her, the two women begin a friendship that turns into something more.  Carol is married and has a child, so things are complicated and messy.

Set in the 1950s and based on The Price of Salt by Patricia Highsmith, Carol is a fascinating look at relationships and sexuality of the time period.   Carol has a lot to lose and has to decide whether to be true to herself or her marriage.  The story is slow at times but Kate Blanchett and Rooney Mara both play their parts so well, I found myself almost as drawn to their characters as I was to the story.  I’m not sure it’s Oscar worthy but Carol is definitely worth seeing.

1. February 18, 2016 6:33 am

This is one I really want to see, but maybe I’ll read the book first and wait for the film to hit Netflix. After googling Rooney Mara, I just now realize she and Kate Mara are sisters. Rooney played Lisbeth Salander in the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series. Kate played Zoe in House of Cards. Both are outstanding actors, as is of course, Kate Blanchett.

• February 18, 2016 1:20 pm

I was pleased to note the sisterly connection between Rooney and Kate. Loved House of Cards…new season coming soon!

2. February 18, 2016 8:10 am

I heard about Patricia Highsmith’s book only when this movie came out. I would like to read it but may not get to it for a long time, so maybe I will watch the movie instead.

3. February 18, 2016 9:34 am

I think I liked it a little bit less than you. I gave it a 2.5/4. I thought it was slow and not very compelling. There are so many good movies out there – Spotlight, Trumbo, Steve Jobs, The Danish Girl, The Big Short. I don’t think that Carol is in their league. And I agree that it and the 2 leads are not Oscar-worthy. But it was watchable.

February 18, 2016 10:05 am

Probably a good one to wait and see later.

5. February 18, 2016 10:14 am

This sounds like a beautiful movie. I’ve got Patricia Highsmith’s Ripley books in my TBR right now – I should probably add The Price of Salt!

6. February 18, 2016 10:33 am

This sounds good to me, but I haven’t seen any of the other contenders yet either!

7. February 18, 2016 10:37 am

Did you read the book? I do want to read then see, so it will likely be a long time before I get to it.

8. February 18, 2016 11:11 am

I haven’t heard of the book or the movie before. Living in a small town, we seem to get most movies later than other places.

9. February 18, 2016 11:16 am

My teen liked this one a lot, and your review also makes me want to see it. Will watch for it to hit Netflix.

10. February 18, 2016 12:11 pm

I do love Cate Blanchett, I want to see this one.

11. February 18, 2016 1:19 pm

I saw this one early in the year, and loved it! I didn’t know what to expect, and didn’t realize it was based on a book…so I must get that book.

I willsee anything with those two stars…and wasn’t Rooney Mara great in something that wasn’t Lisbeth Salander?

12. February 18, 2016 1:44 pm

I have not seen this, nor have I read the book, but the story line I find intriguing. Sometimes a good story takes time…thank you for your thoughts.

13. February 18, 2016 4:00 pm

I should watch it one day

14. February 18, 2016 6:56 pm

I’ll add it to our netflix queue.

15. February 18, 2016 8:02 pm

I saw Carol this week too. I thought it was ok. I thought both lead actors ok, but didn’t buy the chemistry between them. Also there were too many artsy/atmospheric shots when travelling/moving scenes etc- for some reason I found those particularly annoying. It was still a nice time at the movies, but I didn’t love it.

16. February 19, 2016 7:49 am

I didn’t like that much Kate’s last oscar-winning movie but I did appreciate her acting. I probably will wait for this one to hit home television.

17. February 19, 2016 9:20 am

Sometimes I se.e the nominated movies and wonder what the heck I’m missing. But then Mad Max was nominated this year? I’ve given up trying to understand. 😉 I love Cate Blanchett

18. February 19, 2016 11:13 am

I was just on Audible looking for my next listen when I seen this title and remembered seeing you had reviewed the movie. Sounds good!

19. February 19, 2016 11:50 am

This sounds like a good movie!

20. February 20, 2016 1:24 pm

Kathy, I hadn’t heard of this movie, either. Thanks for your post and trailer.

21. February 20, 2016 9:55 pm

I liked this movie and thought the performances were very good. I guess I just didn’t love it and wasn’t sure of all the hype it received.

22. February 21, 2016 8:45 pm

This movie is on my “list” to see. I bought The Price of Salt recently so I could read the story first. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it!

February 22, 2016 6:09 pm

Kate Blanchett is just a fantastic actress!

24. February 26, 2016 11:12 pm

For some reason this one just doesn’t appeal to me but that fact that you liked it makes me think I should give it a shot.