February 17, 2016

My first word came from a children’s book – The Boy Who Fell Off the Mayflower or John Howland’s Good Fortune by P. J. Lynch.

1. shallop – “Our biggest job was fixing up our large sailing boat, the shallop, which had been cut in four pieces for stowing between decks.”

I find it so interesting when a word has different meanings like this one.  A shallop is a light sailboat or a large, heavy boat with one or more masts and sometimes equipped with guns.  In this case, I think the author intended the former meaning.

_____________________________________________________

I found my next word in The Penguin Lessons by Tom Michell.

2. pelagic – “I reasoned with myself that I had no real evidence about the washing of pelagic birds and it was probably just an old wives’ tale anyway.”

Pelagic means relating to or living in the sea far from shore.

_____________________________________________________

What words do you want to celebrate today?

1. February 17, 2016 7:36 am

I like the sound of both of those words. I hope I can remember the meanings!

2. February 17, 2016 8:32 am

I am always amazed at the extensive esoteric vocabulary associated with the sea, and the fact that so many uneducated (in days long ago) sailors could master this almost-a-second-language, showing that all people must have a lot of potential if only they have the opportunity. I actually have a (very large!) dictionary just for such words! And yet, I still have difficulty MASTering the words (ha ha)

3. February 17, 2016 9:27 am

Both words are new to me!

4. February 17, 2016 9:38 am

I’m glad that shallop has 2 meanings. I didn’t know either one of them! Oh, and I didn’t know pelagic either. Darn. I hate 0-fers.

5. February 17, 2016 9:44 am

Both are new to me but I think it’s really odd that shallop has two different meetings like that.

6. February 17, 2016 10:14 am

New to me words also. I am greatly underinformed when it comes to words about the sea or the shore. However, ask me about words about my part of the country and I would do better I think. Maybe I’ll have to do a post about indigenous words for the western plains and mountains.

February 17, 2016 10:20 am

It sounds as though you are reading lots of sea worthy books!

8. February 17, 2016 12:33 pm

The context of your new words, like mine today, was no help in figuring out the definitions. That’s always frustrating, but one of the reasons we play this word game every week.

9. February 17, 2016 1:25 pm

Seems like I should have known both words, but I didn’t.

10. February 17, 2016 1:59 pm

Both new words to me as well! I hope you’re enjoying the Mayflower book.

11. February 17, 2016 3:49 pm

Shallop was interesting, because of it’s two meanings

12. February 17, 2016 4:00 pm

I have not heard these before

13. February 17, 2016 8:36 pm

New ones for me. I’ve never heard the term pelagic birds.

14. February 18, 2016 1:22 am

Shallop is such a great word – I’m going to have to find a way to use it – it might be quite hard…

15. February 18, 2016 10:39 am

New to me. Shallop is interesting.